1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suddenly changed roosting area

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lmorto02, Sep 25, 2011.

1. lmorto02

lmorto02 New Egg

Sep 25, 2011
    I have 4 distinct groupings of pet chicks. The older two are grown gray bantam cochin, roo & hen & they have their own coop. The other are grown bantams (not cochin) roo & 2 hens, they have their own coop. Then grown white bantam cochin roo & 5 hens. And finally 4 young bantam (not cochin) 3 cockrells & 1 hen that came from the other not cochin group. So here's the thing. All the coops are located in a large fenced in, protected area so they can be out during the day. I alternate the 1st bantam cochin & the 2nd not cochin roo to be turned out as they fight constantly (learned this after the first & only trial). All the others get along fine.

However, at night, they are all closed up in the coops for safety. Here's the problem. They were naturally roosting in their own coops until recently when all 6 white ones decided to stop getting in their coop (which don't have a roost as they all stayed in the corner together), and started roosting in the coop with the other growns. The youngest ones used to do this (as they were actually raised in their anyway & only moved to their own coop when they got older but still weren't say to be let out with all the growns), & that wasnt' a prob. Everybody would at least be in a pen, I would go down after nightfall & just close the coop doors & lock them up. Now, the whites won't let the youngest ones into the coop they have taken over, & they roost on top of the coop. So, I have to go every night & put the youngest ones in the coop that was supposed to be the white ones anyway, & they don't really like it (but it's less time consuming to move the 4 little ones than the 6 white ones!).

So my question, after this lengthy explanation (sorry), is: why did they do this all of a sudden, & how can I get them to go back to the simplier way of life!! Thanks!

2. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Maybe if you added a roost to the white's old house? They may be camping out at the neighbors waiting for the interior decorator to get finished [​IMG]

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Mine change roost location for a variety of reasons. Temperature change, especially upwards can make birds want to move to cooler more ventilated location. Age related changes where older birds want to move to higher locations and ultimately spread out more. Response to disturbance, especially by predator. If even one bird squawls in response to a predator, then the entire flock will sometimes move to another location. Disturbance need not loss of a bird, just a good scaring and birds will then move from an otherwise secure location to one that is less secure.

Best not to ignore possibility that predator is probing your coops for weaknesses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by