Suddenly laying outside the best box

May 18, 2022
Hi! We have 3 EE's. One has been laying for almost 2 months and the other 2 aren't laying at all. From her first egg she always laid in the box. I cleaned the coop and changed the nest pads last week and she laid the next day as usual. However, we found an egg in the run yesterday and today we found her just finishing up laying in the outdoor space under to coop. Nothing has changed...ideas?

Except the nest pad.
Does it look different than the old one, maybe brighter color and 'fresher' smell??
Try putting one fake egg in each nest.
I'm sure it smells more fresh lol but is otherwise just like the old one. I put a golf ball in each nest this morning and our layer went and sat in there so that's a step in the right direction 🤞🏻

New layers, figuring out new things. I still will find a mislaid egg from time to time. I have 6 nesting boxes for 12 hens, and they choose only 2 of those to lay in. I think if the boxes they want are occupied, sometimes the egg just can't be held back, and out it comes, wherever she may be.

New layers, figuring out new things. I still will find a mislaid egg from time to time. I have 6 nesting boxes for 12 hens, and they choose only 2 of those to lay in. I think if the boxes they want are occupied, sometimes the egg just can't be held back, and out it comes, wherever she may be.
I have a hen that I think can’t hold her eggs when her favorite box is occupied. This just started this past week. I have found 3 eggs now not in the box. However other days she is able to get to the box. I am glad to hear this is normal.

Back
Top Bottom