SUDDENLY, my Chicken is Nearly Bald! WHAT TO DO? *{PICS ADDED!}*

Okay, here are some pics:
5493_mable_plucked_back_edited-1.jpg

5493_mable_plucked_wing.jpg

5493_mable_right_wing_and_back.jpg

Does this still look like a "hard molt?" OR, did she begin to molt, which in turn prompted the other Rock to pick on her, which I witnessed this morning?

I put her in with the babies (3 months old) today and all seemed to be peaceful. She's away from the "picker" and the babies leave her alone.

Should I put bag balm on her?

astrid

If you've seen her getting pecked it's probably how she lost her feathers. I use all natural oils on my chickens when they need topical skin treatment, bag balm would probably work...maybe even some neosporin on those bloody spots.
I know it looks ugly but she'll be okay as long as she doesn't keep getting pecked at.

That looks like over treading from a rooster. Was she with a roo? The area could have become sore and then the others started to pick at it.

No, we don't have a rooster. I've never seen any roo-like behavior in the girls-- she was only in with two other hens; she's lived with them since hatching.

astrid

I almost think a coon is reaching in and just able to grab a few feathers and not the whole bird, maybe a possum? is that at all possible?

I really don't think anything could have gotten in; the coop and run are like Fort Knox. And I've found feathers everywhere around the coop and run, not just in one spot.

I've NEVER seen any picking behavior before in my hens. I wouldn't say this hen is overly attached to me, or afraid of strangers, and therefore stressed because I was away. They love everyone, and are very tame, not flighty at all.

Why would picking start all of a sudden? And would the result look like this? Suddenly, over the course of two days?

astrid

You say you have been gone for ten days in Canada, EH? Do you know exactly how often they were let out? "SHUT INSIDE AT NIGHT, IN MORNING LET OUT"

I know our girls are ready to run if we do not let them free range for a number of days and they get out every day whenever they want! They get very picky towards each other. Well, just the top of the pecking order.

I would relax. Let it go for a day or to. Perhaps let her sleep inside and join the rest ONLY when you can watch the behavior. I wouldn't trust the chickens got let out as often as they would have if you were home. Once her feathers return awhile from now, let her back into the routine.
idunno.gif

I agree, if they are used to more time out and when you on vacation they didn't get the same amount of time outside, then they could have gotten a little stir crazy. My hens get anxious in the morning if I am running late to let them out.
I really think she will be fine now that you are home and can keep an eye on her.

Thanks so much for your replies, everyone. They have put my mind at ease a bit, but I'm still concerned about her raw skin. Should I put something on it? She seems like it hurts to move; etc. I'm sure the skin is very painful. Bag balm? Something else?

astrid

Back
Top Bottom