sufficient coop and run space?

HenningerHomestead

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 7, 2015
Hamburg, Pa
I'm planning to have 8 chickens: 7hens and 1 rooster (Rhode Island Reds, and Barred Plymouth Rocks)
6 ducks: 5 female ducks, 1 drake (Campbell Khaki's, and Runners)
And 4 geese: 3 female geese, 1 gander (Tufted Toulouse).
My run was planned to be an 'L' shaped area 10×16, before we decided on the geese.
The chicken coop is planned at 8×12,
And we have since added two duck houses (one a 4×3, and another a 2×3)
And a goose house (3×3)
Within the run...

Dust bath and duck pools are planned within the run...

Is this enough space for all of these birds? Or is it absolutely necessary that we add to it to better accommodate with the addition of the geese?
(I've included photos of the rough sketch plan and layout of my coop and run... it doesn't Incude the fenced in portion of land that they will have access too also, where our horses will be.)

[/IMG]

Last edited:
Welcome! Have you had any of these species before? This doesn't sound like a good plan to me; geese and ducks and chickens all together will be a problem. Too crowded, different feeding, and bad issues with fighting. Geese are grazers, and need pasture. Ducks need very deep waterers, and make a wet mess, not good for chickens. The chickens will do great in your coop and run, but the others need separate housing. Mary

I don't think this is enough space... at the very least you should not put the geese in there. They are very large and strong and need a lot of room to pick around. They do quite well free range if you have a lot of space so they aren't stuck near a road or a house...

There will be extra space outside of the run in the horses pasture, and we will have a lake for the ducks and geese outside of the run. (But fenced of course)

any suggestions on about how much more space they'd need?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom