Sufficient covering from hawks?

Don't rule out bantam roosters unless you plan on hatching your own eggs. The little game roosters, and similar breeds, are excellent flock guardians.

Standard cochin are another docile breed to consider, but the favorelles-beautiful to look at and great to have around the place. However, If you were to have a second rooster, the favorelle would be terribly picked on; even by smaller roosters. Favorelles just don't go well with other breeds of the same sex-lovers, not fighters. The same is true for the hens; they don't do well with other hens of a different breed unless that breed is also nonaggressive.
That's so interesting. In the future I would like to get a Favorelle hen or two but also other breeds like polish, buff orpington, EE, etc. I wonder how all those breeds would do together. Right now I have 2 buff, 2 EE and 2 red sex link. They get along for the most part.

I agree with @nchls school that doing research for a good rooster to help protect your hens. I always have 2 roosters, cause one is bound to die trying. Also your yard looks good for coverage, your weeds are good for chickens to hide, the trees, any shrubs or bushes are all great.

I agree with @nchls school that doing research for a good rooster to help protect your hens. I always have 2 roosters, cause one is bound to die trying. Also your yard looks good for coverage, your weeds are good for chickens to hide, the trees, any shrubs or bushes are all great.
Thank you! Now if only they would stay near the hiding spots. Lately they are bold and forage right out in the open. I watch them but it's still a risk.

That's so interesting. In the future I would like to get a Favorelle hen or two but also other breeds like polish, buff orpington, EE, etc. I wonder how all those breeds would do together. Right now I have 2 buff, 2 EE and 2 red sex link. They get along for the most part.
In general it's not a good idea to try and mix aggressive with nonaggressive. That's where breed research is important; and easy to do via this group and other sites on the internet.

Thank you! Now if only they would stay near the hiding spots. Lately they are bold and forage right out in the open. I watch them but it's still a risk.
Mine are in the open too at times, but I always trust them more with hawks only because I have seen their reactions to freeze, hide, or at times even vocalize to each other that 'something is happening' when they hear wild birds. If they did nothing to notice or save themselves then I would be freaked out and never let them free range again prob out of fear lol.

I noticed you recognize that if you free range loosing a bird to a predator is the risk you take. From past experiences and others, most who free range will eventually loose a bird to a predator, aerial or ground. I have lost my share over the years but did put electric wires around my nice large pens and coops, heavy duty netting covering all of my pens, concrete under the gates all due to past losses from predators. We are rural but I think no matter where we live there are going to be predators. Good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom