Sufficient for 6'ish hens?

TXNewbie

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 10, 2011
First post and as you can tell from the user name.... I'm a newbie in Texas
big_smile.png
. We have wanted chickens for some time now and have decided the time has come... or at least is very close. We have a covered 10x16 carport type area that we are going to predator proof for an "all the time" coop/run area. Off of this we are going to use covered dog kennel panels for a daytime run approximately 10x12. We wanted to give them the safe carport because once a month or so we go out of town for the weekend to visit the in-laws, so they needed some space rather than being cooped up for a weekend. Their coop area + the daytime run will be a total 10x28. As for an actual coop I have been looking at this http://www.oklahomahistory.net/chickencoop.html very closely and I think I'm going to go with this idea. I will leave some space at the top open (with hardware cloth of course) as well as one panel in the front all wire for ventilation. Actual coop area will be 4x12. Being in Texas, winter isn't really a concern. Also plan on adding two additional nest boxes and plenty of perches.
I'm attaching a few pictures of the area we are going to use. Vision all the planters/bike etc out of the way of course, lol. We would like to have 6-8 hens. What do you guys think, should this be sufficient?

2s7wb39.jpg

9hqmig.jpg

hu57ck.jpg

s6ujw0.jpg

Man, with a house that size you can certainly handle more than 6. I would guess more like 12 to 16. From what you've said I would do all I could to make the run larger. The chickens just can't seem to have to much run area. Mine roam all day and I begining to wonder what they would do shut in the run and coop all day. My run is 15X15 and I just don't think it's large enough for a stay in all day area. I would really need to enlarge my run. You have a very good start, way past anything a lot of us had to start with.

Great starting place.

Ohhh, I'm so happy with the responses!! I want to stick with 6-8, but I'm sure like you guys say their numbers will increase, lol. I have 4 kids and even though the chickens aren't even here yet theirs all have names already, lol.

Ole Rooster, the plans are to increase their run into the garden likely by next summer. In the last picture you can see my compost bins in the distance, that is the far edge of my garden which is about 40x30. I can't give the permanent run more space towards the garden because hubbies driveway to the barn is in between the two. However, once I get the garden completely fenced (including chicken proof tops for some beds) I am going to create a portable connection between their run and the garden. This way I can move it out of the way when hubby needs to drive back to his barn. The garden is a bigger project with fencing and overhead protection, we have lots of hawks, crows and Mexican eagles. It was part of the whole "getting ready for chickens" plan, but it's just too much to do at once and I'm getting impatient wanting my birds
wink.png
. So, baby steps for now, lol.

Back
Top Bottom