Sugar Water???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 77horses, Mar 26, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I've read that some people give young chicks(usually after hatching or after they are shipped from a hatchery) sugar water. Why? Is it like a boost for them or something? Do you have to give them sugar water?
    Thanks! Just curious to know. [​IMG]

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    You don't have to give them sugar water, but if they have had a rough ship, they made need it for energy. It does wonders if the little guys seem stressed.

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    yes it acts as a boost...most folks do it when recieving shipped birds...not it is notnecessary...usually...it can be bad if too much is given...think pasty butt. It is just a high energy boost that gets them moving and rehydrates

4. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:OK thanks! [​IMG] But how much is too much? Just wondering in case we need that extra knowledge this Summer, during hatching time. [​IMG]

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Electrolytes like Pedialyte have a better balance metabolicly and cause less pasting. Or the MannaPro's powdered electrolytes which I keep here now.

Karo is actually safer as a reviver than sugar-water. It digests more easily and causes less pasting.

While sugar-water is sometimes helpful in stressed chicks or worn out ones. If you have time and a chance to use something a tad more effective that causes less pasting those are the better options.

Raw honey is not an option, it contains bacteria dangerous to infants and young animals.

I only use Karo to revive a new hatched chick that is not making it. Then a couple of drops.

As was mentioned overuse of sugar will paste them up or cause real runs and paste them up.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by