Suggest how to use igloo cooler for chickens to have cool water

I have used the coolers for years. I used the brite tap nipple attachment, as well as a cup attachment from Dine-a-Chook. I like cups for the summer here, because they are easier to drink from and chickens can have a harder time working the nipples while panting…
I have issues with tiny bugs getting into the water because the lid is not super tight. But it’s great to keep the water cool in the heat and I never have algae.

I have used the coolers for years. I used the brite tap nipple attachment, as well as a cup attachment from Dine-a-Chook. I like cups for the summer here, because they are easier to drink from and chickens can have a harder time working the nipples while panting…
I have issues with tiny bugs getting into the water because the lid is not super tight. But it’s great to keep the water cool in the heat and I never have algae.
Never like the cup nipples. While I was at the local feed store, the local rep was there talking to the manager. I was just there looking for funnel when the manager said "HEY! Ask him!" It thought about running away and I reluctantly turned and said"Ask me what?". He started telling him how I am always in there talking about and all the times I am in there showing them the stuff I build. And the water tanks. I honestly thought they never really cared or payed attention. You know just being polite. But he was talking to the rep with great detail. He then got to the point about the water tanks. So the rep asked me if If I wanted some over stock free. I said heck yeah I never turn down free stuff. Well he asked if I had a truck with a hitch. Of course. He says back it up to the trailer at the bay. OK. Thought we were gonna get some boxes. Well I get back there and the guy starts backing me up. OK. well he kept backing to the tunouge. Thought what's this guy doing. it be easier to back up to the end of the trailer. Thought maybe they were expecting a delivery so they wantented me off to the side. He stopped right at the hitch. The guy had already hooked up the trailer. Before i could say "what?", he says "here you go it's all yours". He hands me some papers. Bill of transfer. Apparently it is way cheaper to give away what they don't off load, than to take a 1/3 full trailer back up north. Plus it was one of those states that don't require title or registration.

In any case there were several different style of nipples. I tested them all. Hated the cups. Always getting dirty. And it's not like you can just take a bucket, dump it and clean it out. No you have clear every single cup out being careful to not break the plunger. Plus I noticed that the tank was always running lower faster than the rest. All the water it takes to fill the cups was evaporating for just sitting there.

The chickens would drink from them but it seemed that even on the hottest days they preferred the vertical nipples. My guess is that they like that when they pack ate it the water goes right down into their mouths.

Never like the cup nipples. While I was at the local feed store, the local rep was there talking to the manager. I was just there looking for funnel when the manager said "HEY! Ask him!" It thought about running away and I reluctantly turned and said"Ask me what?". He started telling him how I am always in there talking about and all the times I am in there showing them the stuff I build. And the water tanks. I honestly thought they never really cared or payed attention. You know just being polite. But he was talking to the rep with great detail. He then got to the point about the water tanks. So the rep asked me if If I wanted some over stock free. I said heck yeah I never turn down free stuff. Well he asked if I had a truck with a hitch. Of course. He says back it up to the trailer at the bay. OK. Thought we were gonna get some boxes. Well I get back there and the guy starts backing me up. OK. well he kept backing to the tunouge. Thought what's this guy doing. it be easier to back up to the end of the trailer. Thought maybe they were expecting a delivery so they wantented me off to the side. He stopped right at the hitch. The guy had already hooked up the trailer. Before i could say "what?", he says "here you go it's all yours". He hands me some papers. Bill of transfer. Apparently it is way cheaper to give away what they don't off load, than to take a 1/3 full trailer back up north. Plus it was one of those states that don't require title or registration.

In any case there were several different style of nipples. I tested them all. Hated the cups. Always getting dirty. And it's not like you can just take a bucket, dump it and clean it out. No you have clear every single cup out being careful to not break the plunger. Plus I noticed that the tank was always running lower faster than the rest. All the water it takes to fill the cups was evaporating for just sitting there.

The chickens would drink from them but it seemed that even on the hottest days they preferred the vertical nipples. My guess is that they like that when they pack ate it the water goes right down into their mouths.
Fascinating! Mine are so different. They decidedly prefer ANY open water source to the nipples - anything they don’t need to work to get water out of. And they are clumsy with the nipples. They peck at them hard so drops are sent flying and it makes a mess under the waterer. No one has the patience to just nudge the nipple a little bit and let the water run into their beaks. No, it’s peck peck peck… And they get so little water that way. The ratio of water waste to actual hydration is definitely so much worse for us with nipples. The cups I use are the Lubing cups, pointy small cups with a float. Work really well and a quickly splash from the hose cleans them easily. Once a week I do a more thorough clean with a small bottle brush and soap. The float has never been harmed by this. If you want you can disassemble the cups to clean (if you need to disinfect things or just want to do a spring cleaning) and put them back together. I have never had a cup break and I have used them for years and years.

Back
Top Bottom