Votes: 40 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • Probably

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t think so

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
*Personally* unless it were a rare breed or something specifically unusual like a proven broody or a show winner, I wouldn't pay more for an older hen than I'd pay for a chicken dinner cockerel.

After all, the stress of moving would probably throw her into a molt and who knows if she'd ever lay eggs again.
How much would you pay for a chicken dinner cockerel?

Wow. Never heard anyone selling a laying hen for $3. :th
Sounds like you get a lot of customers?
Not really. I wish I could sell more birds. I would have to some advertising. I've sold more chicks then anything else.

Eating eggs is the #1. Thing I sell even more of though, $2.00 a dozen.

How much would you pay for a chicken dinner cockerel?

Maybe 50 cents per pound of expected dressed weight since I'd have to do the processing and can buy 10lb bags of leg quarters for about a $1/lb most of the time (though the flavor would be inferior). :)

Of course the boys in Camp Cockerel waiting for me to do the deed probably have more feed in them than that, but selling a few of them here and there helps offset it.

Eating eggs is the #1. Thing I sell even more of though, $2.00 a dozen.

That's cheap! I'm getting $5 for an 18-pack on casual sales and not even trying to use the farmers' markets.

Free-range eggs in the grocery store I work at are $4-5 per dozen.

Maybe 50 cents per pound of expected dressed weight since I'd have to do the processing and can buy 10lb bags of leg quarters for about a $1/lb most of the time (though the flavor would be inferior). :)

Of course the boys in Camp Cockerel waiting for me to do the deed probably have more feed in them than that, but selling a few of them here and there helps offset it.

That's cheap! I'm getting $5 for an 18-pack on casual sales and not even trying to use the farmers' markets.

I've been selling them for $2 before the pandemic, & bird flu began. I like to keep things affordable for people who maybe struggling with money.

I'm also selling at $4 a dozen to close friends and $5 a dozen to the public.
Eggs here are $5 per dozen for "cage free" eggs. Pasture raised are almost $6.

Farm eggs in my immediate area are going for $3 a dozen. Both pre-pandemic and now. We are at the end of a dead end street, so I haven't tried to sell eggs yet. Last year I was offered a dollar a dozen by someone at work because " that was more than what she would pay at Aldi" 😒 I gifted everyone a half dozen eggs and never offered to sell any;).

I sold
• 3, two year old Delaware hens
• 8, three month old TSC pullets (6 White Leghorns, 1 BA, 1 Isa Brown)
• 1, three month old SLW Cockerel

I did $13 each for the Delawares = $40
I did $12 each for the pullets = $96
I did $7 for the SLW cockerel = $7
I had a $30 feed cost
Which brought the total to $170 for a total of 12 birds.

Was this reasonable pricing?

Back
Top Bottom