Suggestion needed on how many to have during the winter....

mamaboyd

Songster
12 Years
Jun 6, 2007
Kendal.Ontario,Canada
How many chickens(hens) should I keep together during the winter months. I want to make sure that there are enough to keep each other warm and comfy with , and I also hope to get some eggs during the winter months if possible. What would be a good number to keep? Our winters can get very chilly, especially with the wind, sometimes down to -40 degrees. Any suggestions?
Thanks! Trish:)

I suggest that you have as many chickens as you can, and if you get too many, give the extras to me.
big_smile.png

Seriously, though, if you throw a heat lamp out there, that'll do the trick. Gotta keep those combs from being frostbitten. And make sure they're out of the wind and damp; enclose your coop.

I say it depends on the type of coop you have. If it's all cozy, put in as many as you need to keep it cozy. Four birds in a dog house would be happier than the same four birds in a 14 x 20 barn. If things get really cold, you could put in a heat lamp but I've heard that causes more problems if you have really cold winters because the birds get used to it at night and can't withstand the chilly day time temps.

Trish....how big of a space are you keeping them in? Is the coop insulated?? Draft free? Something to think about. Usually 4 sq ft per standard size chicken. But I guess you could go with 3 sq ft, if its THAT cold! Will just have to watch for pecking...and make sure they can get outside still too.

We are thinking about keeping 15 hens, the rest are being processed nest Tuesday. The coop is not insulated...yet, but it's pretty draft free, we'll being doing some work to make sure everything is snug and cozy. I can't remember the size of the coop, I'll have to recheck with hubby. Thanks for all your input!!
smile.png
Okay, I checked, we'll have plenty of room for the hens at 3 sq feet per bird, even at 4 sq feet per bird, there will be extra room!! Yippee!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom