Suggestions for a chicken run

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
I have just turned a shed into a chicken coop and no longer have a run. Last time I built a DIY rug that worked fairly well. This time it’s close to winter and I am looking for something I could buy that set up. I have seen several on Amazon but the reviews are mixed and some seem like they don’t last and have many flaws. I’m trying to find a way to keep rain and snow out of my feeder and waters. I don’t have time to build a room and was curious if anybody has any ideas of runs I could buy online that could last

I have an Omlet walk-in run that was a quick setup, and assembled almost entirely on my own. Pricier than a chain link dog run, but it does look nice. I covered mine with tarps last winter and it held up well. If you want it to be predator proof, budget for adding HWC along the bottom 3-4’ though. If you get wind, ground stakes and ratchet straps work well.

hmmm .... that's pretty big for a hoop run.... you're looking at 20' x 8' - at least 5 panels long.

Not impossible ... this one is 40' long:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/compost-included-deep-litter-hoop-coop.66883/

And, if you have the space you could try something like @affacat did with 4 connected runs to box in a garden space:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/2-hoop-coop-cattle-panel-questions.1449809/page-14
This is one of my favorite projects!

I need to post updates on my project. I will say that my 40 ft long cattle panel hoop runs work wonderfully. They are in with the j hooks linked to somewhere within that thread. It is shockingly stable, which was my biggest fear going in. They sort of hold themselves together and there's a lot keeping them together and immobile (like the skirting). I do have them connected at both ends to the out buildings but I don't think that is what is providing stability (they may have less wind sway?)

I haven't posted updates because I still have one more building to build. However my turkeys are happily living in the third. They don't come out into the yard even when we leave the door open

Back
Top Bottom