Suggestions for a large, easy-to-build, inexpensive coop?

Thanks for all these suggestions and comments. Penny, I'm so impressed with your coop!

I do have a couple more questions about the hoop coops - are they acceptable for colder weather? I know I'm in Georgia, but we've had a very cold (for Georgia, anyway) winter, so I'm wondering if these hoop coops would keep chickens warm when temps and wind chills drop below 0F. Also, does anyone know what the cost comparison would between a hoop coop and a more traditional framed coop? My only hesitation is that it's been so wet here that I'm reluctant to leave them on the ground - I was hoping to build a coop that was raised at least by a couple feet to protect them from that. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for all these suggestions and comments. Penny, I'm so impressed with your coop!

I do have a couple more questions about the hoop coops - are they acceptable for colder weather? I know I'm in Georgia, but we've had a very cold (for Georgia, anyway) winter, so I'm wondering if these hoop coops would keep chickens warm when temps and wind chills drop below 0F. Also, does anyone know what the cost comparison would between a hoop coop and a more traditional framed coop? My only hesitation is that it's been so wet here that I'm reluctant to leave them on the ground - I was hoping to build a coop that was raised at least by a couple feet to protect them from that. Decisions, decisions!
Hi!
If you've ever built a greenhouse, you'll know that as long as the cover is clear, they will absorb sun and increase heat. If you cover your cattle panel with the clear corrugated stuff and "seal" up the ends, you'll have no problems holding warmth. You could also build a false bottom of plywood into the structure to get the chickens up off the ground. I just sketched up what I was describing to help explain it a little better. To predator-proof it, you could either bury some wire into the ground around the coop, or if you wanted it to be somewhat portable, you could put a layer of welded wire mesh on the bottom of the frame to enclose the bottom.

Thanks, Laurel! I am really intrigued by this because I think it could be very versatile. In the summer, the humidity is terrible and I like the idea of building a large structure that could potentially have more ventilation during the summer but still provide protection from the rain. I'm reading now about how to incorporate ventilation for a hoop house even during the winter, which would also be important. I am so intrigued by these hoop coops!

They are very neat. If we ever get enough land to have a coop that I could move around to clear/fertilize different parts of the property, I would definitely be building one of these.

We have only two acres, and coops can't be within 75' of the property line. I don't know if that applies to moveable coops, though. However, since our free range for about half the day, I don't know that I'd need it to be moveable, though I can see the appeal. :)

Back
Top Bottom