Suggestions for Border, Please...re: Log Cabin Table Runner

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by speckledhen, Aug 22, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Whipped up this scrappy table runner over the last couple days. Can't decide on what color border, though. What do you think? The blocks are 8" blocks so it's about 40" long already.

[​IMG]

2. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Wow very pretty!!!

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    That is beautiful!! I think I would go with a very dark green or very dark red border. The quilt/table runner itself it so beautiful that it doesn't need a fancy border to distract from it.
    I made a quilt called "Cardinals in the Cabin" once from an old McCalls (I think) Quilt Magazine Pattern that had similar red and green log cabin blocks and I used a dark red border on that one I believe. Nice job on yours.

4. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    I think an thin tan strip around to create a seperation from the green and maroon, then a maroon wider border around that.

5. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I would either use the red from the center blocks or a thin black border to "frame" it and pick up the black in the prints.

Very lovely table runner Cynthia!!

6. speckledhen

Oh, Kat, good idea! Thanks goldenluver and flgardengirl. I'll do a thin black border to "contain" the center, then a 2" or 3" border of dark red/maroon! Thanks! You guys always have the best suggestions. Even when I don't necessarily take one of yours, just brainstorming here gets my mind focused on the best course of action.

7. speckledhen

[​IMG]

Top completed. I didn't do the red border mainly because I don't think I have enough of the right red, but I'll check and see if I can find some in my stash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by