Suggestions needed 3 broody hens

PeppersChicks

Chirping
Jul 29, 2022
I have 3 pullets that have gone broody at the same time. White leghorn, speckled Sussex and a mystery breed. (I have no clue what she is) I thought the leghorn would snap out of it but it’s been 2 weeks and she’s determined. and the black mystery pullet went broody a few months ago (maybe longer) I gave her chick that she raised wonderfully but she has now gone broody again and I have all I need in my flock. 20 is plenty! My question is how to stop it? I have 1 extra large dog kennel can I put all 3 in there until they break? I can’t afford and don’t want to go buy more kennels for this. They all 3 want the same nesting box and lay in there together it’s crazy. Any suggestions on handling the 3 would be helpful. I take them out and they eat and forage then go back, I’ve tried other things I’ve read but now I’m just let with locking them up.

Does your dog kennel have a wire or mesh base?
Thats what you really need, to let the air flow under them.
As far as only having one crate, what I would do is break them one at a time, because it only takes about three days to do it.

I have 3 pullets that have gone broody at the same time. White leghorn, speckled Sussex and a mystery breed. (I have no clue what she is) I thought the leghorn would snap out of it but it’s been 2 weeks and she’s determined. and the black mystery pullet went broody a few months ago (maybe longer) I gave her chick that she raised wonderfully but she has now gone broody again and I have all I need in my flock. 20 is plenty! My question is how to stop it? I have 1 extra large dog kennel can I put all 3 in there until they break? I can’t afford and don’t want to go buy more kennels for this. They all 3 want the same nesting box and lay in there together it’s crazy. Any suggestions on handling the 3 would be helpful. I take them out and they eat and forage then go back, I’ve tried other things I’ve read but now I’m just let with locking them up.
Funny, we are in the same boat! What I'm doing is locking up 1 at a time. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it seems to be working. Lock one up in the kennel with food and water for a few days (mine are where she can still see and interact with the other birds). Let her back into the flock. If you've successfully broken her, put the next one in. If not, give her a couple more days and try again.

I do agree with @Sussex19, that if you can raise it up so the air can flow under that would be best. However, I can't do that and my idea seems to be working.

Does your dog kennel have a wire or mesh base?
Thats what you really need, to let the air flow under them.
As far as only having one crate, what I would do is break them one at a time, because it only takes about three days to do it.
It has a wire base. I will give that a shot. Thank you

Funny, we are in the same boat! What I'm doing is locking up 1 at a time. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it seems to be working. Lock one up in the kennel with food and water for a few days (mine are where she can still see and interact with the other birds). Let her back into the flock. If you've successfully broken her, put the next one in. If not, give her a couple more days and try again.

I do agree with @Sussex19, that if you can raise it up so the air can flow under that would be best. However, I can't do that and my idea seems to be working.
I’m glad to know that’s working. I wasn’t sure if I needed to do them all at once or one at a time. I will do them one at a time. I was afraid if I did one and when she got out she would go broody again seeing the other one still broody.

It has a wire base. I will give that a shot. Thank you
That sounds good.
I don't think its a problems them seeing the others, and going broody again.
Hens are influenced by other hens going broody to some degree, but it is a very slow process, and usually only if they are already 'thinking' about it.
If they have just been broken, those hormones should be pretty low, and would take quite a while to build back up.

I thought that leghorns never went broody, wow.
Yeah me too! At least that’s what I read and if they do it don’t last long but of course I get one that’s the exception. She’s been sitting for 2 weeks or so.
I'm surprised too! Mine are Australorps and Easter Eggers. I don't think either of those are supposed to do it either. 🤷‍♀️ What is goin' on, y'all?! 😆

Back
Top Bottom