Suggestions needed 3 broody hens

My only broody to-date is a Starlight Green Egger (hatchery mix easter egger that lays green eggs. She looks like a red sexlink.

None of my "supposed" to go broody chickens ever have. Figures.

A large dog crate with a mesh bottom set up on firewood in my covered run for a few days usually does the trick. Just a pain to deal with it when I don't want her to hatch.

My next plan is have her hatch meat birds/ meat mutts. Since I don't have much space in my flock for new chickens, she still gets to hatch them out, and I get chicken to eat after a few months without having to brood the chicks myself. Win win (but only for those who raise meat birds).

My only broody to-date is a Starlight Green Egger (hatchery mix easter egger that lays green eggs. She looks like a red sexlink.

A large dog crate with a mesh bottom set up on firewood in my covered run for a few days usually does the trick. Just a pain to deal with it when I don't want her to hatch.

My next plan is have her hatch meat birds/ meat mutts. Since I don't have much space in my flock for new chickens, she still gets to hatch them out, and I get chicken to eat after a few months without having to brood the chicks myself. Win win (but only for those who raise meat birds).
I am a vegetarian, but I could even raise some meat birds for a neighbor or something. That is a great idea for all those die-hard girls that don't want to give up.

This is my 3rd EE to go broody in the past two years!

If I can't break them, I'm considering letting them raise meat chicks, too.

This is my 3rd EE to go broody in the past two years!

If I can't break them, I'm considering letting them raise meat chicks, too.
Yeah I’m hoping my EEs don’t go broody! I haven’t thought about raising meat birds but I’m not gonna lie…I eat chicken but not one that I’ve met. LOL I don’t know if I have the heart. Don’t get me wrong I wish I could get past it and I would if I had too. My hubs says I’m so wimpy. We raised a hog for slaughter but I made him keep it on another property so I couldn’t see it. What can I say? I’m an odd ball!! 🥺

Yeah I’m hoping my EEs don’t go broody! I haven’t thought about raising meat birds but I’m not gonna lie…I eat chicken but not one that I’ve met. LOL I don’t know if I have the heart. Don’t get me wrong I wish I could get past it and I would if I had too. My hubs says I’m so wimpy. We raised a hog for slaughter but I made him keep it on another property so I couldn’t see it. What can I say? I’m an odd ball!! 🥺
You're really not, I have three different friends like that. ❤️ I love fried chicken, but I do find it hard to actually do the deed.

I think humans are supposed to be like that. I'm sure you could do it if you really had to, but it is always hard. I had to cull a hen that had EYP last fall and I teared up every time I thought about her for weeks after.

I do have a question on breaking the broody. Do I put her in the crate and not let her out at ALL for the few days?
I let them out twice a day, when I am around to keep a close eye on them. As soon as they even start to head back to their nest, back in to the crate they go.
At night, I leave her in the crate, but put the whole crate up on the roosts. I think being up on the roosts helps break her.

Edit, once a day would be fine too.

Back
Top Bottom