Suggestions needed 3 broody hens

I let them out twice a day, when I am around to keep a close eye on them. As soon as they even start to head back to their nest, back it the crate they go.
At night, I leave her in the crate, but put the whole crate up on the roosts. I think being up on the roosts helps break her.

Edit, once a day would be fine too.
True, if you can babysit them, why not? 😁 I don't have time to do that, plus mine aren't the tamest.

True, if you can babysit them, why not? 😁 I don't have time to do that, plus mine aren't the tamest.
Its only for 5 min, which is the time it takes to feed and water them anyway.
(am I offended that I'm called a baby sitter? of cause not... just kidding lol)
And even the less tame ones are easy to catch when broody, I have found.
But I'm sure they don't mind being shut up all the time either, I just feel better if I can give them a bit of time to stretch their legs.

Its only for 5 min, which is the time it takes to feed and water them anyway.
(am I offended that I'm called a baby sitter? of cause not... just kidding lol)
And even the less tame ones are easy to catch when broody, I have found.
But I'm sure they don't mind being shut up all the time either, I just feel better if I can give them a bit of time to stretch their legs.
😆 But aren't they your babies?! 😜 I guess you have some nice broodies, then. Most of mine at least this year are so mad at me for kicking them out they won't cooperate.

I let them out twice a day, when I am around to keep a close eye on them. As soon as they even start to head back to their nest, back in to the crate they go.
At night, I leave her in the crate, but put the whole crate up on the roosts. I think being up on the roosts helps break her.

Edit, once a day would be fine too.
I don’t think I could put the crate in the roost. This crate is large my grown lab fits in it. Will that be a problem with such a large crate as far as breaking them?

I don’t think I could put the crate in the roost. This crate is large my grown lab fits in it. Will that be a problem with such a large crate as far as breaking them?
Shouldn't be a problem.
The bigger it is the more they will move, which is what one wants. I don't think where they roost is a big deal, putting the crate up is just what I do.

Shouldn't be a problem.
The bigger it is the more they will move, which is what one wants. I don't think where they roost is a big deal, putting the crate up is just what I do.
Putting it on the roosts is for airflow, correct? I never thought of using the roosts!

Putting it on the roosts is for airflow, correct? I never thought of using the roosts!
Kind of... in the day I just put some pieces of wood underneath, and have it out in the garden (they free range) but then at night the roosts serve both to let the air flow, and also its where she would normally roost when not broody, which I have found to help.

Back
Top Bottom