Suggestions on Introducing Mama & ducklings back into the Flock

donnavee

Crowing
13 Years
May 7, 2009
Hillsborough NC
I have 2 Mama gray calls that have 3 ducklings each - just over a week old. They hatched more but we sold the majority of the ducklings and saved a few for them to mother.

They are currently housed in separate pens with plenty of room, but the Mama's are becoming very restless, wanting to take the young ones out - especially since some of the other ducks come over and "talk" to them through the wire. I put the mate in with one of the ducks at night and he hasn't harmed the ducklings, but is more than ready to get out during the day.

Suggestions on introducing them to the other ducks? Their moms are very protective but I'm still worried about them getting hurt. I have had one Mama out with our big Magpie and Blue Swedish (both girls) with no problems - I guess I worry more about the 2 boys and the chickens.

They are a little bigger than this now but not much.

i would wait until those ducklings are ATLEAST 3 weeks old.
they are too tiny the smallest thing would kill them.
but thats just me . my guys stay in the house until they are 4 weeks old and then get slowly introduced to the outside.
altho i have yet to intergrate any juvies with the adults

This is my first time with Mama's and ducklings. When I hatch them, I do the same as you said. It is a lot less work and mess this way. Maybe I will just try letting them out into a larger area away from the other birds for a while. I did try introducing the Mama's and babies - total failure - the little ones all ran after one Mom which upset the other Mom. It was total chaos until we got each group back together. Lesson learned.

This is my first time with Mama's and ducklings. When I hatch them, I do the same as you said. It is a lot less work and mess this way. Maybe I will just try letting them out into a larger area away from the other birds for a while. I did try introducing the Mama's and babies - total failure - the little ones all ran after one Mom which upset the other Mom. It was total chaos until we got each group back together. Lesson learned.
Usually the first 2-3 days it can be crazy, usually takes that long for ducklings to fully recognize mama ducks voice and they only see feet so they follow who ever lol. But usually around day 3-4 they are following the right mama and all the rest of the ducks let them be. I would get them all together as soon as you can much easier for the adults to accept the youngins that way. They sure are precious. My 2 Muscovy mamas actually watch out for the other ones kids.

Back
Top Bottom