Suggestions on making this into a chicken coop

I would put a ramp between bottom and middle level, put roosts in middle level and nests in the bottom one. I'd use the top level for breeding purpouses or for young/sick birds. I don't think it would be a bad option for the number of birds you mentioned, as long as they are not closed in all the time.

In all honesty, just keep it as a brooder, hospital pen, or chick grow out pen. It would be really good for any of those things. If you will never use it for that then sell it to someone who would.

The bother of trying to convert it into something that is adequate for adult chickens isn't worth it IMO. The birds aren't going to just magically materialize on the roost at night. They'll have to maneuver themselves there. With those dimensions there isn't going to be much room for them to do so. All you need is for one bossy fatty hen to sit herself in the way of everyone else and you will have stress and pecking order issues. I don't understand why you'd want to open yourself up to all the problems that are likely to result with a small coop.

Last edited:
Don't forget to cover or replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth or something more substantial. Chicken wire will keep chickens in but not predators out. I'd second the grow-out pen, temp quarantine, broody breaking, mama with chicks, time out area, etc etc suggestions rather than a full time coop, but with a limited number of chickens, you might do fine with renovations. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom