Suitable coop and run for 5 chickens?

@NatJ realized that I'd made a math error (dyslexia can be fun that way), and that your 23 square feet is just a little over the minimum not just a little under it.

But the problem remains your winter -- unless you plan to roof the run so they won't lose access.

Height is your best friend when it comes to ventilation. You want the vents above the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roosts.

Does the shed itself have enough ventilation so that it's never any warmer than the outside? If not, you'll need to add ventilation to the shed and then to the coop inside it. :)
Oh don't worry about the error! It happens 😊 The shed actually does have some ventilation and since the coop is boxed off, we could also leave the shed doors open without the chickens getting in the shed. At least during the day. I'd shut the doors at night. There's already a good bit of ventilation in the coop to the shed. Just need to add some from the coop to directly outside. I think I forgot to mention we actually do plan to put a roof over the run! So as long as they don't get too cold, they should probably still be able to use it I'd imagine.

Here's what I was thinking of making to go over the box to add more ventilation (for inside the shed) and to make the coop taller on one side for the roost:

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.42.29 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.42.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.42.00 PM.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom