Suitable coop and run for 5 chickens?

cp2894_

Songster
May 17, 2022
Indiana
I have 5 pullets (assuming none of them are cockerels) who are gonna be ready to move outside in a few weeks. Our previous house owners built this setup for their dog. It's a boxed off area inside a shed with a dog house leading out into a dog pen. It still needs a lot of work to get it ready for the chickens but from the pictures below, does it seem like a suitible sized coop and run? The run is about 9x9 and the coop measurements are on the picture. We plan to add at least 2 long windows covered with hardware cloth for added ventilation.

1653405302589.png
1653405321758.png

Hi! Thank you for sharing this again! I posted this before I saw this on my other post haha. Sorry for making you repeat it. That photo is a great visual. After posting, I went out to measure again and I realized I wrote down the wrong measurement for the width originally. So instead of the width being 2'8 it's actually 3'8. Does that make any difference? it would be a little under 24 square feet. I'm mostly worried about the hight but I think I could find a way to make it taller. At least on one side for the roost. According to your reply that's about the same square footage needed for 6 chickens but like you said they won't be able to use the run much in winter.

@NatJ realized that I'd made a math error (dyslexia can be fun that way), and that your 23 square feet is just a little over the minimum not just a little under it.

But the problem remains your winter -- unless you plan to roof the run so they won't lose access.

Height is your best friend when it comes to ventilation. You want the vents above the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roosts.

Does the shed itself have enough ventilation so that it's never any warmer than the outside? If not, you'll need to add ventilation to the shed and then to the coop inside it. :)

I'm going to repeat what I said in response to your question on the other thread so that all the information is in the same place.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

4 hens
  • 16 square feet in the coop. 4'x4' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber.
  • 4 feet of roost
  • 40 square feet in the run. 4'x10' or 5'x8'. 6'x6' is a bit too small, 6'x8' is more generous and easier to build than 5'x8'.
  • 4 square feet of ventilation. A 2'x2' window is theoretically enough, but in practice doesn't create any air FLOW so better to spread the venting around (and even better to exceed the minimums, especially in warm climates).
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
6 hens
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
The goal with the ventilation is to have the temperature and humidity the same inside the coop as out.

Airflow Crayon.png

Your measurements come out to just under 4 square feet per bird -- marginal on the suggested minimums, but doable if you choose your breeds wisely.

BUT, you live in Indiana.

That means that you'll lose the use of your run in the winter unless you put a roof on it.

This is a photo of 18-week cockerels in a 4x8 space to give you a good visual on what actual chickens look like in a known space. They are just slightly smaller than an adult hen of their breed (Blue Australorp).

0130220845_hdr-jpg.2977731

@NatJ realized that I'd made a math error (dyslexia can be fun that way), and that your 23 square feet is just a little over the minimum not just a little under it.

But the problem remains your winter -- unless you plan to roof the run so they won't lose access.

Height is your best friend when it comes to ventilation. You want the vents above the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roosts.

Does the shed itself have enough ventilation so that it's never any warmer than the outside? If not, you'll need to add ventilation to the shed and then to the coop inside it. :)
Oh don't worry about the error! It happens 😊 The shed actually does have some ventilation and since the coop is boxed off, we could also leave the shed doors open without the chickens getting in the shed. At least during the day. I'd shut the doors at night. There's already a good bit of ventilation in the coop to the shed. Just need to add some from the coop to directly outside. I think I forgot to mention we actually do plan to put a roof over the run! So as long as they don't get too cold, they should probably still be able to use it I'd imagine.

Here's what I was thinking of making to go over the box to add more ventilation (for inside the shed) and to make the coop taller on one side for the roost:

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.42.29 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.42.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.42.00 PM.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 1
I'm going to repeat what I said in response to your question on the other thread so that all the information is in the same place.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

4 hens
  • 16 square feet in the coop. 4'x4' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber.
  • 4 feet of roost
  • 40 square feet in the run. 4'x10' or 5'x8'. 6'x6' is a bit too small, 6'x8' is more generous and easier to build than 5'x8'.
  • 4 square feet of ventilation. A 2'x2' window is theoretically enough, but in practice doesn't create any air FLOW so better to spread the venting around (and even better to exceed the minimums, especially in warm climates).
6 hens
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
The goal with the ventilation is to have the temperature and humidity the same inside the coop as out.

View attachment 3122300

Your measurements come out to just under 4 square feet per bird -- marginal on the suggested minimums, but doable if you choose your breeds wisely.

BUT, you live in Indiana.

That means that you'll lose the use of your run in the winter unless you put a roof on it.

This is a photo of 18-week cockerels in a 4x8 space to give you a good visual on what actual chickens look like in a known space. They are just slightly smaller than an adult hen of their breed (Blue Australorp).

0130220845_hdr-jpg.2977731
Hi! Thank you for sharing this again! I posted this before I saw this on my other post haha. Sorry for making you repeat it. That photo is a great visual. After posting, I went out to measure again and I realized I wrote down the wrong measurement for the width originally. So instead of the width being 2'8 it's actually 3'8. Does that make any difference? it would be a little under 24 square feet. I'm mostly worried about the hight but I think I could find a way to make it taller. At least on one side for the roost. According to your reply that's about the same square footage needed for 6 chickens but like you said they won't be able to use the run much in winter.

Work we plan to do on it:
  • hardware cloth 2 feet tall around the whole run
  • at least 2 windows covered by hardware cloth for ventilation
  • pull up all weeds and rocks in the run then add sand
  • add a door to the dog house

Back
Top Bottom