Coop/run upgrade help

Quick question. How much space on either side of the ramp is ideal? I’d like to put the ramp on the right side along the right run wall but not right up against it. I’m worried about birds falling off or getting pushed off and hitting the hardware cloth. So far I have a 4’x8’x5’ coop with one 8’ roost and one shorter 4’ roost on the short wall. 2 egg boxes each 12”x12”x12” (seems small?) on the front of the coop all the way to the left. Here is a sketch (I’m not really sure how to sketch it). I would like the front to somehow lift up so I can clean easier. That’s where I’m sort of stuck. How do I access this coop? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 5
I’m worried about birds falling off or getting pushed off and hitting the hardware cloth. So far I have a 4’x8’x5’ coop with one 8’ roost and one shorter 4’ roost on the short wall. 2 egg boxes each 12”x12”x12” (seems small?) on the front of the coop all the way to the left.
I've never had a ramp but you could put a bit of a rail on either side to make it harder for them to slide off the sides?

If you're doing 8 hens I'd do 3 boxes myself, but no guarantee they'll use more than one. :D

I've never had a ramp but you could put a bit of a rail on either side to make it harder for them to slide off the sides?

If you're doing 8 hens I'd do 3 boxes myself, but no guarantee they'll use more than one. :D
Maybe I can doe three boxes but two on bottom and one above it?

My goal is just to get us up to a bit larger sized flock (say 6-7 total) until I can use the shed.
If I was planning to extend in your setup with a new / better coop I would choose to add larger bantams. Not full sized chickens. Because space requirements, building and integrating will be easier if the difference is not too large. There are friendly breeds like bantam Sussex and bantam RIR who would make a good match.
I would wait with full sized chickens until you can use the old barn and you want to expand the run too.
I try to explain to my husband that if I have 3 bantams and want 6 total birds that is 3+3(then add 2 or 3 to account for roos/losses), so really 3+3=9.
Do you intend to buy hatchery eggs or buy not assorted chicks? With sexed females and if you don’t let them free range you won’t have to buy more than 3 or maybe 4.

Keep in mind that common heritage breeds easily get 10 years old if you can provide a healthy environment, without stress and given healthy food (organic , fresh weeds). The minimum run size as described is not a goal you need to establish. Letting your chickens free range is good for their health and stress levels if it’s reasonably safe and you don’t use poisons in your garden. And if you have much predators then a run extension (without roof) or 1 hour supervised free range time is good too.

…and bantams really only count as ONE chicken anyway, right
No. 3 bantams mean 3 personalities who all need their own personal space.

BTW: The bantams wont mind if you build a coop big enough for 6 or 9 full size chickens. 🤣
And I would keep the old tiny coop for a future broody or a sick chicken you like to separate.

Couple thoughts -
My coop is elevated, base hits me at the hips. It's 3' deep, and I find that is DEFINITELY deep enough for my six chickens to wander around and hang out. Deeper and it'd be significantly harder for me to reach all the way across.

I don't see any mention of poop boards yet - it may be something you want to consider. They're great! My two roosts are 3' long, going the short direction of our coop, and so when my door is open I just pull out the poop boards and scrape them into a bucket. Easy peasy.

And on doors - I've got a 4' wide opening with two 2' wide doors. They are very easy to open and I used normal 4" door hinges on them. I think that lifting the door up over your head will be a pain - what holds it there while you are working? Can't easily leave it open on a nice day to air out your coop.

Couple thoughts -
My coop is elevated, base hits me at the hips. It's 3' deep, and I find that is DEFINITELY deep enough for my six chickens to wander around and hang out. Deeper and it'd be significantly harder for me to reach all the way across.

I don't see any mention of poop boards yet - it may be something you want to consider. They're great! My two roosts are 3' long, going the short direction of our coop, and so when my door is open I just pull out the poop boards and scrape them into a bucket. Easy peasy.

And on doors - I've got a 4' wide opening with two 2' wide doors. They are very easy to open and I used normal 4" door hinges on them. I think that lifting the door up over your head will be a pain - what holds it there while you are working? Can't easily leave it open on a nice day to air out your coop.
Yes! Poop boards are something I’d like to consider. Do you have a picture of your coop? Good points on the doors. How tall is your coop?

Back
Top Bottom