Sulfa question

Might be because Corid (amprolium) does not treat all types of coccidiosis.

I always thought coccidious was part of normal gut bugs. I was under the impression that coccidious was the result of a weakened immune system or the introduction of the bird to a different environment with a strain the bird had been not exposed too. I thought any treatment for coccidious was to alleviate serious problems until the bird could develop resistance to it.

I came up with a dose of 1.5 ml for the first dose and half that for subsequent doses. This is a dog/cat dose but I think would be the same for a chicken. Albon is a coccidiostat. It will not kill the coccidia. If your chicken is solo and indoors you could treat for 5 days and clean the environment daily. If outdoors I recommend treating for 10-14 days.
Thank you. I could not find anything in the drug literature about using Albon oral suspension for chickens. I could only find that the Albon oral solution could be mixed in water for chickens. I appreciate your help. I believe she may have suffered an anaphylactic reaction to the sulfa drug she was given. The vet said he thought it may have been a stress reaction, I have never seen a stress reaction in a chicken. It was not like she was shutting down. She was actually squawking and thrashing in the carrier after being calm for the ride there and during her exam.

I always thought coccidious was part of normal gut bugs. I was under the impression that coccidious was the result of a weakened immune system or the introduction of the bird to a different environment with a strain the bird had been not exposed too. I thought any treatment for coccidious was to alleviate serious problems until the bird could develop resistance to it.
I appreciate your reply, thank you.

I wonder if she could have aspirated some of the medication.
She did regurgitate a minute amount of the pushed 1 ml dose almost immediately. I waited a minute after she was done and offered her some fresh water to clear the taste from her mouth. She was dosing off again but when the tip of her beak fell into the water she took a few sips. She then dosed off again and suspecting that she was just so very exhausted, I just gathered her up and went to the lobby to pay and take her home. I think if her passing was due to aspiration in that timeframe, the squawking would have been different. Your thought was a valid one and I thank you for your reply. Do you know what a death due to stress presents?

Back
Top Bottom