sulmet AND oxytetracycline AND apple cider vinegar?

thejoyofchicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
okay, so i wouldn't really put all three of those in a sick chick's water at the same time, but i am wondering if using a combination of any two out of the three is safe.

i can't find any information about concurrent use of:
sulmet and oxytetracycline or
sulmet and ACV or
oxytetracycline and ACV

any expert advice for me?

Sounds like quite a regiment, what happend to the poor flock?

ACV goes with anything, the only precaution would be the two medications.
The two other medications are both broad spectrum antibac so they shouldnt have any immidiate confliction, but I dont have the nitty gritty to see fi the chemicals are reactive to each other.

That in mind, they are esentially the same function, if different form. Just use one and see what happens, if that one doesnt work after the first week, then try number two. If its still failing then you arent dealing with a bacterial problem.
My best advice for anyone, even myself is to take a moment and really understand what the problem disease is before you treat. That saves time, money, and resistance of other diseases.

Good luck!
The FDA sheet on sulmet's active goodie
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Animal...lDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm061367.pdf
Crazy long animal expiriment list
http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol79/mono79-14.pdf

So combining them probably wont do any extra harm, I just think its a little bit much and will knock out some of the good bacteria and micro-flora the chicken wants to have in it. Honestly that's the major problem with broad spectrum antibacterial treatments for healthy animals, it kills the good stuff and makes the bad stuff stronger.

Sounds like quite a regiment, what happend to the poor flock?

So combining them probably wont do any extra harm, I just think its a little bit much and will knock out some of the good bacteria and micro-flora the chicken wants to have in it. Honestly that's the major problem with broad spectrum antibacterial treatments for healthy animals, it kills the good stuff and makes the bad stuff stronger.

and then i'm going to dust them for mites, and trim their toenails... okay not really. :) i have had a terrible time with this particular batch of chicks -- i'm sure it does sound like overkill! this is a hypothetical treatment for them, but already the latest victim seems to be recovering, thankfully. i've lost 6 out of 9 from this age group. it's absolutely unbelievable to me.

at first no one could figure out what was happening. nothing fit -- mareks, coccidiosis, respiratory infections, nothing! i called a vet, called the ag extension office, and scoured the info available online. i even had the local chicken inspector come out, and she was flummoxed. she said we could do a necropsy, but at that point the last three were recovering, so i hated to sacrifice one just for that. she said unless it's a specific disease, they wouldn't be able to tell me anything helpful for months. i believe they had a vitamin B1 deficiency... as best i can determine.

but now i just had another of that batch who i thought developed cocci. ARGH. i'm treating her with sulmet and watching her friends carefully. so far no one else shows any signs of anything. which makes me doubt it was coccidiosis, since it's supposed to be highly contagious. this morning, i began to wonder if i should be treating her with a different broad-spectrum antibiotic instead of sulmet. but by late morning, she is seeming a bit stronger. so...

thank you very much for the reply. it is good to know, just in case.

Sometimes the little ones are just terribly unlucky.
I wish I could just tell you what it was, but it seems to confound almost everyone.

Dont worry about mixing the medicine too much, just dont overdo the dosage.
Remember if it didnt make a difference after about 3 days you might be dealing with a virus instead of a bacterial or fungal infection.

Hope it gets better and good luck to the strong 3

Back
Top Bottom