Sulmtalers Thread

Pics
Well my GFF girls are only 5 - 6 months old and already laying! Did not know they were early layers. Eggs look like torpedos
lau.gif

Hi all. Never hatched this breed before but very interested in them for a lot of reasons. Easily sexing the chicks mainly in addition to their beauty and egg laying. I hatched 4 Duckwing. I think I have 3 pullets and 1 roo. What do you think? These hatched 4 weeks ago. Any and all comments welcomed

Last edited:
Good morning!
I hope everyone and their families are doing well. I noticed that our BYC page and FB page is very quiet.
Yeah it has been very quiet. I need to post updated pics of my flock. I have more going outside today.

I have found Sulmtalers to be very capable at just full on free-ranging. I tried to keep mine in a pen but they kept getting out. So I just ran with it. I see the flock make their way off into the forest but they always return. They are the most self-sufficient breed of the 15 breeds that I own.

I too have turned mine loose. I had 12 Australorps and New Hampshire Reds that I turned loose with them as well. There are only two Australorps and two New Hampshire Reds left, and every single Sulmtaler is still here..... Perhaps smarter than the average bear (or coyote, around here). My tiny American bantam Orpingtons and my Sulmtaler x Legbar mutts are also doing extremely well free range, no losses from them either. The Sulmtalers, mutts and bantam Orps tend to stay closer to the Anatolian Shephard and/or our horses than the other chickens do. I expect to someday soon see my dog covered with chickens perched on him when he is napping!

L
I too have turned mine loose. I had 12 Australorps and New Hampshire Reds that I turned loose with them as well. There are only two Australorps and two New Hampshire Reds left, and every single Sulmtaler is still here..... Perhaps smarter than the average bear (or coyote, around here). My tiny American bantam Orpingtons and my Sulmtaler x Legbar mutts are also doing extremely well free range, no losses from them either. The Sulmtalers, mutts and bantam Orps tend to stay closer to the Anatolian Shephard and/or our horses than the other chickens do. I expect to someday soon see my dog covered with chickens perched on him when he is napping!

Lol that would be a good picture. I am not able to turn mine out, I have a neighbor with way to many dogs and he don't feed them regularly either. I also have game chickens that I would love to put on tie cords.

Yeah it has been very quiet.  I need to post updated pics of my flock.  I have more going outside today.

I have found Sulmtalers to be very capable at just full on free-ranging.  I tried to keep mine in a pen but they kept getting out.  So I just ran with it.  I see the flock make their way off into the forest but they always return.  They are the most self-sufficient breed of the 15 breeds that I own. 
I have a Sulmtaler that is setting on blue wheaten over blue wheaten eggs and 9 in the bator so maybe I'll see 50% of them come Pyle colored

Back
Top Bottom