Sultan/ Cochin Cockerel for sale. He's a year old. Located in Riverside, CA. $30

20170514_184540.jpg
20170514_184415.jpg
Here's a picture of their offspring.

Oh yeah, definitely have sultan in them. You can see the crest in the top and they have five toes and muffs and beards with both. I suspect they are sultan x cochin, hence the appearance of some straight combs, and that is why he sold them as cochin. Sometimes people will only mention one breed when selling a mix, either to be deceitful or they just don't know what the mix is. Those toes, crests, and weird combs are giveaways though. I am thinking of replicating a similar look with my Appenzeller Spitzhauben, EEs, and Marans :)

Oh yeah, definitely have sultan in them. You can see the crest in the top and they have five toes and muffs and beards with both. I suspect they are sultan x cochin, hence the appearance of some straight combs, and that is why he sold them as cochin. Sometimes people will only mention one breed when selling a mix, either to be deceitful or they just don't know what the mix is. Those toes, crests, and weird combs are giveaways though. I am thinking of replicating a similar look with my Appenzeller Spitzhauben, EEs, and Marans :)

Sounds great! Mine are very tame, but the problem is the egg laying because they lay too little and small eggs. I recently bought a production red pullet to make up for the eggs but might need to sell some of my chickens for space. I'm thinking about selling them except for the chick with the head feathers and have 3 breeds [Sultan, prod. Red and EE] Thanks for helping with the breed by the way. :thumbsup

Yes, Sultans are considered poor layers, I believe. I had one but didn't keep her long as I don't really like heavy crests since I try to free range as much as possible. She was always crying and stressed out because she couldn't see well, even after I trimmed it back. Cochins are okay layers but they will also go broody a lot, from what I understand, so obviously that cuts into egg production as well. My production red and BR are my best layers, but I am not a huge egg eater and with ~70 birds there is no way I could eat that many eggs anyway so I actually try to pick birds that are small layers and lay small eggs so I can use up more at once (6 small eggs in a cake instead of 3 large, for instance).

No problem re: helping figure out the breed. Solving mysteries lets me feel like Sherlock Holmes for a bit. :lau

Back
Top Bottom