Sumatra gender help...updated pics

Grumpy Birdie wanting to get fed already lol
Those are totally girl noises. I have 4 hens and 4 roosters and only the girls make those noises. I have my main breeding rooster Whiney and 3 extra boys 2 black and 1 blue. I could be wrong but those noises that were being made comes from all 4 of my hens. We'll just have to wait and see. Do you ever plan on breeding chickens?

Last edited:
No, I don't currently have anymore Sumatras.

And I could be wrong about the sex on this bird. I keep going back and forth on it. I think if I could see it in person it would make it a lot easier. lol

And I could be wrong about the sex on this bird. I keep going back and forth on it. I think if I could see it in person it would make it a lot easier. lol
It is alittle hard to tell even at that age because she doesn't have all of her tail feathers. Even the way the tail is now I think girl because the saddle feathers are rounded and not straight. Have you seen my pics of my splash Sumatra hen? I don't think I have any of her at that age so you could compare and for birdieandfifi to compare. I'll look and see if I have any but I'm pretty sure I don't.

Chicken math suddenly stirs within me.....:love Feeling the need to expand my Sumatra collection. ;)

~Alex
How many sumatra's do you have and do you breed them? I love the breed and only have a breeding trio of blue,black and splash. Do you sometimes sell hatching eggs or chicks?

Those are totally girl noises. I have 4 hens and 4 roosters and only the girls make those noises. I have my main breeding rooster Whiney and 3 extra boys 2 black and 1 blue. I could be wrong but those noises that were being made comes from all 4 of my hens. We'll just have to wait and see. Do you ever plan on breeding chickens?
Yeah she’s a talkative girl! And I agree. I do believe they are girl noises. My roo makes completely different clucking and he’s not as chatty as Birdie. I went to install their new coop feeder last night and it was dark so they were already sleeping and I hear Birdie doing the same talking noises but quietly since she was sleeping. Lol

I posted her on another thread since i thought this one died and everyone said pullet. Including a Sumatra breeder of 15 years who told me for months she also thought Birdie was a roo so I’m just telling myself she is a she lol. Birdie is a masculine bird I know, and I think it’s harder to sex her with her being a hatchery chick plus being splash.

I posted her on another thread since i thought this one died and everyone said pullet. Including a Sumatra breeder of 15 years who told me for months she also thought Birdie was a roo so I’m just telling myself she is a she lol. Birdie is a masculine bird I know, and I think it’s harder to sex her with her being a hatchery chick plus being splash.
I think sumatras are just harder to sex than most breeds until their older. Blue sumatras are alittle easier because the boys come in a solid color and most of the girls have lacing on their feathers. I think splash wold be the harder color to sex but also black. I think another way to do it to would be the comb because the boys do have combs and the girls dont really. I think what throws most people off in thinking that Birdie is a boy is the tail at that age because those side tail feathers are curled but all sumatras that I have had their tails do that. I'm still 90% positive it's a girl.

I think sumatras are just harder to sex than most breeds until their older. Blue sumatras are alittle easier because the boys come in a solid color and most of the girls have lacing on their feathers. I think splash wold be the harder color to sex but also black. I think another way to do it to would be the comb because the boys do have combs and the girls dont really. I think what throws most people off in thinking that Birdie is a boy is the tail at that age because those side tail feathers are curled but all sumatras that I have had their tails do that. I'm still 90% positive it's a girl.
She’s a girl! I figured she was too young to lay so I haven’t been checking in her coop except when I clean it. Well this afternoon I saw an egg next to the silkie by the feeder which is downstairs in their run. The silkie is like 4 months old...must be Birdie! Looked in the coop and sure enough there was 4 more! Couldn’t believe it. I thought she was too young to lay. So I moved the cardboard boxes I had blocking the nesting boxes. My coop has 3 nesting boxes and I unblocked them all. Hopefully she uses them to lay eggs in instead of using them as condos to sleep and poop in like I think she will lol.

Back
Top Bottom