Sumatras

30646_digital_camera_524.jpg

These are my new sumatras.

Does anyone want to take a stab at the gender of this bird? I'm new to the breed, and chickens in general for that matter. Do female Sumatrans have combs as pronounced as this? Of the three birds I own of this breed (which are not from a dedicated breeder) this bird has the most distinct and pronounced comb.

IMG_7600.jpg

IMG_7604.jpg

IMG_7613.jpg

IMG_7616.jpg

IMG_7627.jpg

i live in a small town and there is one person with one sumatra in the whole county and im looking for another bantam breed does anyone have bantam sumtra eggs for sale and could you tell me the prices on your eggs...im getting into cochins and i like those but the most exotic thing i have are ameraucana chickens (wooo!!) so i didnt know if there was any one with bantam sumatras out there that offered hatching eggs.

Quote:
I don't have Sumatras but that looks like a roo to me. They look like they have feathered legs. Is that true?

-Cindy in MA

Hello,

I have been raising sumatras for several years. My original stock was from a well known breeder in North Carolina who has since gotten out of the hobby. I loved to show them and did extremely well at shows when I had time. I've been at school for six years and finally have some time now to get back into it. I have about five roosters and 10 hens (blue, black, splash) and hatched about 150 chicks this summer. With the warm weather I've called it a year and going to see how the babies turn out. Hopefully I'll have some for next years shows.
Is anyone else still raising this breed? I know when I was showing it was extremely rare to see someone else showing sumatras at the same show. It is such a cool breed.

Pic is one of my original males. He died of old age earlier this summer unfortunately. But I did get several babies from him. Blue male in background.

Back
Top Bottom