Summer heat with ducks

oliviamorris005

Chirping
May 1, 2020
Hello everyone! I live in Oregon and temperatures are going to be 108°+ this weekend. This is by far the hottest summer I’ve experienced here! I’m worried about my two ducks and how they will handle the heat. They have a shaded side yard, three accessible watering stations, and a large kiddie pool. I want to take extra precautions with this heat and want to keep them safe! Do you have any suggestions to keep them safe in this extreme heat?

Here in Northeast Nevada we have been hot but nothing like you all on the coast. Have been doing all of the above, changing out the "pond" 2 or 3 times a day so they have cool water and I do hose them down with a gentle shower from the hose in the hottest time of the day. They actually like it.

NE Washington is coming up on more upper 90s days. My ducks all made it through the 109 record setting heatwave fine with just dunking tubs and shade. No signs of stress, just some panting. I added some Dollar Tree dishpans which work great as extra -drinking- water because the pan is too small for the ducks to swim in. The had access to an underground cement basment, thus cooler, and chose to be out in the sun.

The heatwave has made all my hens broody. They wanted to sit on eggs in the direct sun during the hottest parts. Unless that is a seasonal thing -- my first year as a duck keeper.

if you have a kiddie pool or something that they swim in you could put a little ice in that water ,,, you could freeze some corn or peas for some cold snacks —

Back
Top Bottom