1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sunburned chickens????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thndrdancr, Jun 19, 2007.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well, I went out today and looked at my two pullets and was talkin to them. I have just recently in the last week put them out all day in their pen. It has ample shade and also a couple places where it cool and hidden if they want.
    They are probably right at 12 weeks around today. Anyhow, both my girls have bright red combs, red around the eyes, and the one that has wattles, they are bright red too. They look sunburnt! Is this possible.
    I put lotion on the comb of one, she loved it, but the other one is too jumpy to allow it. I was very careful of the eye area, but its looks awful too. Could they possibly be sunburnt, they are too young to be getting ready to lay, so thats the only think I can think of.

Thanks in advance.
    Jill

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    They may not be old enough to lay just yet but they are beginning to physically mature. It's not likely they are sunburnt just growing up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by