Sunflower seeds in shell

lauraclaire

Chirping
14 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Bloomfield Hills
I have a question. I have always been told to use SHELLED sunflower seeds to feed the birds because the shells can be toxic and I don't want my silly dogs eating the shells under the feeder. Is this a problem with chickens? Up until now, I've been feeding my girls shell less sunflower but if I can get them the ones still shelled, the price is better.

Mine eat them shells and all. When I throw the leftover shells from the squirrels in the compost pile, they eat some of those as well. They also eat peanut shells.

Imp

Mine also eat them shells and all. Our bird feeder is purposely on the edge of the run so they can clean up the left overs
cool.png

Certain birds, like parrots, hull the seeds before they eat them. Chickens do not do that. They eat everything and grind them up in their gizzards. Your dogs will not get any shells from sunflower seeds if the chickens get to them first.

Thanks everyone for the info. It appears that chickens will eat pretty much anything you put out for them. The only thing mine haven't devoured has been asparagus. Well, they were also afraid of a cantaloupe I put in their run until one of them got "brave" enough to give it a go!

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed is the different kinds of sunflower seeds available. I've seen BOSS as well as a gray seed which seems bigger. Is there a difference or can I use either?

The BOSS - Black Oil Sunflower Seed - is smaller and easier for them to eat at almost all ages over 8 weeks old, and generally MUCH cheaper than the larger, grey striped sunflower seeds.

And it's about 15-16% protein so it's a much better treat than than cracked corn (IMO).

Back
Top Bottom