sunlight and silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muddyhorse, Aug 2, 2010.

1. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    most of my silkies have been living indoors, but I recently got some new pens and a shed (today at lowes they had an arrow metal shed 10x14 half price because the box got wet and broke, apparently the box was $275) any way I noticed the other day it seemed that the feathers on the silkies that go out were "harsh" not as soft as the indoor birds. I know sunlight will discolor white silkies. does it effect the other colors as well. I have a six foot fence and I am going to cover the runs. should I use tarps to cover the runs or sunshades ? how do you keep your show birds looking nice. here is a picture of kaylee from this weekend at the St. Francis county fair. she is too young to show 4-h so she shows open. her pullet won champion bantam and then won best in show over all.
    [​IMG]

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I have not noticed anything different with my silkies and sun or being outside. My birds generally do not go outside, but that is strictly their choice not mine. I imagine, it would not be too unlike wind or sun damage to our skin or hair, it can cause brittle and dryness. I separate my birds before show for about 2 months to get them into condition and used to handling and different feeders and such. I bathe them with a really good dog shampoo for specific colors I have (red, black and white) cod liver oil or wheat germ oil would be a good conditioning supplement to add to their feed. I just seperated several birds yesterday for the up coming shows in October I plan to attend.

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Could it be the dirt from the dust bath they take? Since their inside and I am assuming they do not get dirt on them at all.

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    the birds inside have a dirt with shavings floor. hubby doesn't like it if I put them up in wire bottom cages. and they dust bath in the shavings.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It really affects the buff. Last year I had them in pens without tarps and they spent most of their time sunbathing, totally bleached out of the buff, they looked patchy with white from the sun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by