Super aggressive attacks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by khaehnel, Mar 25, 2008.

1. khaehnel

khaehnel New Egg

Mar 25, 2008
    Maine
    Hi, I have 6 golden comet that are a year and a half and 5 Araucana hens/ with 1 Araucana rooster that will be a year old in april.

In the last four days, I have had two severe bloody attacks. I thought the first was the rooster so I seperated him from the rest. The first was a comet that was bloodied. Today one of my Araucana's was attacked. I do not free range and nothing has changed in the last few month except it has been a really really long snowy winter here in Maine. The two injured birds don't like each other either as I built a makeshift recovery pen. I am at whits end and I am saddened by these attacKs.

What can I do to stop these attacks????? I actually put two comets in with the rooster hoping that they were the agressive ones that were inflicting the hurt.

Anyone???

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Welcome. Sorry you are having troubles. I had my top hen start picking on everyone else, especially my rooster. I finally had to cull her, but I tried a couple of things before I resorted to that. First, I treated their wounds with rooster booster. That only worked temporarily. So I separated the offending hen for a week to knock her out of her place in the pecking order. That didn't work either so I ate her. Those are at least a couple suggestions you could try though. Good luck.

3. khaehnel

khaehnel New Egg

Mar 25, 2008
    Maine
    So, getting rid of one , the rest of the flock settled down and coexisted just fine or did she share her torturoustricks with all the others?

Does having a rooster provoke any of these habits?

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I don't think having the rooster provoked it, I just think she was a bad egg. My rooster is a salmon faverolle and they are very docile, so I think he just didn't have the gumption to stick up for himself. After I culled the hen, tranquility reigns and all of the hens are now growing their feathers back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by