Super bummed

ladyj02

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2016
Topeka, Kansas
Its so hard to stay patient with my 4 hens. They're pushing 21 weeks old this coming Monday. I get it, they're still young and still have some weeks to go before they really start laying. So why am I bummed?! 1 of them decided to surprise me and lay an egg... almost 11 days ago. 11 freaking days and nothing since!!! I can tell she wants to again because I've notice her scratching around in the boxes, moving the shavings around to make herself comfortable, kicking the golf balls out, and she squats and shakes her butt when I try to pet her. One thing I don't know is if she's singing the egg song. Our coop is clear down at the bottom of our yard and i never hear a peep out of them from up at the house. I check a few times a day and I'm so bummed whenever I see that there is nothing there. I'm like the poor kid on Christmas Day who opens his Christmas stocking (nest box drawer) and finds coal (golf balls). I didn't even get to eat that first egg either because it was cracked and leaking! :'(

It is hard waiting. My Buff Orpington laid a egg a week ago and I got the second one tonight. It will come when you least expect it. Then before you know it you will be over run with eggs.

Do they free range at all?
Have you looked for another nest?

Not too unusual for a new layer not to get it all in gear for up to a month or so tho.

Do they free range at all?
Have you looked for another nest?

Not too unusual for a new layer not to get it all in gear for up to a month or so tho.

They do free range about 2-3 times a week on my days off, for a few hours. During that time I am also outside with them doing yard work, swimming, lounging around, etc.. I have checked and triple checked my yard for any nests and couldn't find anything. This Wednesday will be 2 weeks without another egg.

Our coop is also too far away from the house to hear the egg song. So my girls each come to the back door after they lay and loudly announce their egg until I open the door and they get a treat. They never lie, if they are singing the song, they laid me an egg.

ladyj, it won't be long until you are rich with eggs. 21 weeks is on the verge....

They do free range about 2-3 times a week on my days off, for a few hours. During that time I am also outside with them doing yard work, swimming, lounging around, etc.. I have checked and triple checked my yard for any nests and couldn't find anything. This Wednesday will be 2 weeks without another egg.
Some birds lay early, some later. What breed are your birds?
My White Leghorns @ 16 weeks just started laying. I know that there won't be an egg every day from them as they are still young; they need to work it out on their own time.

If you just stop looking all day every day, you'll be pleasantly surprised when you find an egg.
Kind of like the old adage "a watched pot never boils".
No reason to lose patience with them, friend.

You can grab a cheap baby monitor from Wal Mart so you can hear what's going on with the girls if you'd like.
Some folks do use them in case of a disturbance caused by a predator.

Best wishes and you'll be getting eggs soon.

Our RIRs didn't do anything except look at us for the first six months. As if they were watching the calendar, 6 months and one week later there were 25 eggs waiting for us.

Be patient and keep an eye out for rogue nests. They have spent the time not laying, plotting to find the most well hidden, most ridiculous place to start laying like a chicken possessed.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom