Super free range hens — help!

greytgrey

Chirping
Jul 25, 2019
Jonestown, TX
My Coop
My Coop
We have a small flock of five hens, who are getting more and more brave with exploring our neighborhood. We have 1 acre, and a 4 to 6 foot fence that surrounds about 1/3 acre in the backyard. When we first moved here, ours was the newest house in the neighborhood, built in 2007. Since we got here, construction is going up everywhere and I think the chickens see people building and because they’re social they want to hang out with them. Anyway, I know that once these new houses are finished, the neighbors won’t want chickens eating their new landscaping. We do not have a budget to secure the fence part of our backyard, or really even to build a run. Also, I think it would be a lifestyle worsening for the birds to shut them into their small coop. Any ideas how to encourage them to stay in our yard, other than consistently walking them back when they get out? They have started crossing the road, they can get fly really high, and they seem very comfortable with strangers and pets.

A fence is the only way... have you heard of electric poultry netting?
Yep.....poultry netting is to keep predators out won't likely keep chickens in.

We do not have a budget to secure the fence part of our backyard, or really even to build a run.
Best way to go...start saving your pennies and scavenging materials.

I use plantings of my own that provide cover well away from property boundary. Multiple plantings. Also have more than one feeding station, possibly with something different in each. Fencing / electrified poultry netting can work to contain birds when birds also properly clipped. The overwhelming majority of people clipping are not doing it correctly. See linked thread below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...with-perimeter-fencing.1261276/#post-20243847

A 1-acre plot is a bit tight even for five birds. You can make it appear bigger by providing a compost bin to work on for insect forages. I have about 20 birds that will stay on about 6 acres if fed about 3/4 what they want in feed. The balance they make for by foraging. Acreage required varies with season, locality and how landscape is managed. I am blunt so if you disagree, then shut up. LOL

I used this fencing to make my run for mad cheap.
Capture+_2019-10-18-08-49-18.png
Capture+_2019-10-18-08-48-51.png
Capture+_2019-10-18-08-48-03.png

Reckon you can make a decent sized run/tractor with that last bit.
Maybe trade some eggs for the negotiation!

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom