1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Super-intelligent chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by joebryant, Jul 13, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Is it possible that chickens are the smartest animal alive?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Oh boy... where are you going with this??

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Well, you don't see them bringing us food and water and cleaning up our poops, do ya? [​IMG]

Also wondering where Joe is going with this one....will wait and see... [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Maybe Joe would like to play a rousing game of , "Are You Smarter Than a Coop-Dweller?"

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I know they make me feel pretty stupid anytime I try to get something away from one.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    First, high maintenance wives and now smart chickens. You just live in Fantasyland, dontcha Joe? [​IMG]

7. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    I'm subscribing to this one. [​IMG]

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I just finished spending two days cleaning our their coop, replacing lots of pine needles with equine pine pellets. Their coop was spotless for one brief moment when they went back in. They wouldn't do ANYTHING that I told them to; you'd think they couldn't speak English. When I tried to get them back into the coop from outside, you'd've thought that a wolf was after them; once they were in, they all ran to a back corner and cowered until I closed the door and stopped cussing. WHAT A DAY!

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I had a rooster that would come running when I called his name. That was one bird out of 25, though...

I had another rooster that would alarm call at things like falling leaves, acorns, and butterflies, though.

It's a tossup... [​IMG]

10. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Quote:Dude! They have my lady friend by at least $40.00 a week! They draw more then she could think of!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by