Super Jumbo

mossyroo

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
Mossy Head, FL
The egg on the left is a jumbo from the store and the one on the right is one of ours. If we had ducks I would suspect 1 snuck in to the chicken nest.

Do they free range? Could you have missed smaller, "starter" eggs? In the past, I have also had new layers lay double-yolkers. I kind of miss them when they get their production line sorted out and they start laying "normal" eggs.

Their single yolk eggs are small. The double yolk eggs are huge. Both are very normal. And a pullet may lay a small, single yolk egg one day, and a huge double yolker the next. It can take a few weeks or even months for the laying system to start operating consistently.

Do they free range? Could you have missed smaller, "starter" eggs? In the past, I have also had new layers lay double-yolkers. I kind of miss them when they get their production line sorted out and they start laying "normal" eggs.

I have 3 groups. A dozen adult hens that free range regularly. There are 8 chicks about 2 MO that were raised by 2 of those hens - 4 each. 5 of the chicks go out with the hens and 3 seem to have no interest in leaving the coop/run. Then I have 13 of what I call the tweens that are about at POL. They also have no interest in heading out to the pasture even though the same door is available to them.

Back
Top Bottom