1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Super noisy hen help needed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken by sea, Sep 2, 2013.

1. chicken by sea

chicken by sea New Egg

Apr 17, 2013
    Pismo Beach
    So we have 4 hens (6 months old)- free range with a covered coop they go to roost at night. We also have 12 pullerts. All the older girls started laying about 2 weeks ago. The hen that is the lowest in the pecking order just started "screaming" from sunrise until 10 am.
    It's making me batty.
    They have 8 nesting boxes (I converted a dresser) they only use 2 top ones to lay and seem to take turns. Noisy girl is the last one in.
    They do regard my husband as a roo- me as the food source. They have big food bowl and are fed layer crumbles, chicken scratch, oyster shells and organic scraps from the kitchen.
    We have used a squirt bottle to try and tell her "please shut up". Any other ideas to get her to be quite?

2. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    I've got noisy hens, but they live at the back of our berm house so we don't hear them unless we're outside. I did find this site while doing a search: http://www.loudchicken.com/. Maybe others will have more advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by