1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Super obnoxious--is it a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eggspletive!, Oct 12, 2009.

1. eggspletive!

eggspletive! Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    Could this obnoxious 5-week-old bird be a roo despite the lack of comb? (I'm sorry if this is a stupid question--this is my first time keeping chickens.) It is constantly chest bumping the other chicks, chasing them around the coop, and jumping on top of them. The last pic is an action shot I accidentally got today when it jumped on one of the other chicks and threw her out of the access door to the coop. Rude! Unfortunately this obnoxious thing is also my favorite, as it is the most friendly, docile, curious, and intelligent.

What do you think? He/she/it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    At this point it looks like a pullet. Could change, but it doesn't show any roo signs right now. Hens can and do exhibit dominant behavior like chest bumping and jumping on the others.

3. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Easter Egger/americauna: has puffy cheeks and willow-green feet.
    as far as sex still too young to tell and they dont usually show early signs of maturity either

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Oh what a cutie! I can't tell if it's a he or she, but from my experience- rooster chicks seem to be alot more friendly and curious. Always tilting their head and looking you right in the eye...
    Maybe that's why I have 20 and counting [​IMG]

5. Rodeoclown1189

Rodeoclown1189 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    East TN
    most definitely a hen at that age a roos comb would be more red

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Behavior is not a very good indicator. I have a hen who acts as you describe.

Physical traits are far better indicators of gender, although this particular bird may be too young to tell. Different breeds (and individuals) mature at different paces.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like an EE pullet to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by