Super small owl

Was there any faint tracks around ? Was there a head on this small owl or was it missing ? Owls like to eat the heads of other birds or owls this time of the year . You might ask why? Well they are getting ready to breed and an easy way to boost their hormones is to eat the pituitary gland of other birds . Crows and Grackles will eat the heads off the gold finches this time of the year . The little owl may have been wacked wile it was distracted catching it's dinner ? Just going with all I can gather from your information . Don't know for sure .

Pygmy-Owls are a different species. There is the Northern and the Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl in the U.S.
Thanks for clarifying. The one in the picture hit my window and was stunned, I contacted Birds of Prey rehab. that had me put him in a box overnight to see if he survived. I gave him a mouse that my cat killed earlier. When I checked on him during the night, he took all the fur off the mouse and must of swallowed as there was nothing remaining. He was held for a week and release, so ended up being okay from the Birds of Prey taking care of him. I just thought that was how they normally eat the mouse, but the one in his picture appeared to have been eaten differently. I was told they are day time hunters.

Attachments

• IMG_0336 (1).JPG
    IMG_0336 (1).JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom