Supplement/bottle feeding lambs that already have mum?

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful! So I think I won't bottle feed the lambs, but like some of you said will take one away once weaned. I think when our other ewe (last one due) has hers I will bottle feed one from birth on the milk replacement we have but if I'm going to do that I will definitely take it from the mum.
Thanks again!

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful! So I think I won't bottle feed the lambs, but like some of you said will take one away once weaned. I think when our other ewe (last one due) has hers I will bottle feed one from birth on the milk replacement we have but if I'm going to do that I will definitely take it from the mum.
Thanks again!

They are your sheep, but you really don't have to do all that. If you just do what the 4H kids do and work with your weaned lambs every day they will get tame enough. Sometimes to the point of being obnoxious. By obnoxious I don't mean aggressive. Just follow you around everywhere and stick their noses into whatever you are doing. But as I said, they are your sheep and you need to do what makes you happy and what you are comfortable with. Bottle raising lambs and other critters is fun. A lot of work, but fun.

Not in my experience... if a ewe only has enough mik for one lamb and you have twins (or triplets) then I keep ewe and lambs in a double size bay for an extra week And feed the small lamb milk replacer. Take the bottle every time and mum doesn’t reject either lamb if she smells replacer or not.
Nature and instinct is wonderful and mum seems to acknowledge your help.. in my experience anyway.

Back
Top Bottom