Supplemental heat for broody + chicks

fat brown hen

Songster
Jun 12, 2022
I got 25 chicks in the mail, and initially tried to brood them in the house. Ugh I don't know how you guys do it. So far I've given 8 chicks to my broody hen, one per day, and she adopts them without complaint. It helps that they all look same.

I'd like to give her a few more, but I think she's already at max capacity (small game hen). She is in a 4x6 shed, nest is a cardboard box turned sideways. Nighttime temperature gets down to about 40 degrees, daytime high in the 60s. I can run an extension cord to the shed and put a heating pad in front of the nest to catch anyone who falls out, or maybe a brooder plate next to the nest for overflow? Or just fill the shed with straw?

I'd let her brood what she's accepted so far and provide a separate brooder and at least a couple of brooder plates for the rest. Raise them and feed them yourself.

Seeing 17 more chicks arrive and surround her may be very stressful on her, especially if they all try to get under her or pile on her, she may just freak out.

I'd let her brood what she's accepted so far and provide a separate brooder and at least a couple of brooder plates for the rest. Raise them and feed them yourself.

Seeing 17 more chicks arrive and surround her may be very stressful on her, especially if they all try to get under her or pile on her, she may just freak out.

Not 17 more. Only a few more, like 3. I have buyers coming to pick up the others.

My hen won't freak out, she is very mellow. I don't want the chicks to get too cold when she can't cover them. Even if I stick to the 8 she has, they will soon outgrow her footprint.

Back
Top Bottom