Supplemental lighting for pullets?

Jan 25, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
My pullets (3 Wyandottes and 1 Orpington) are 22 weeks old. They have not started laying. Their combs are not red yet. Would supplemental lighting make a difference to when they will start laying? Right now I don’t give them supplemental light. Thank you.
1665021091602.jpeg

Yes. But you needed to start back in August. You'll have a delay until they catch up again hormonally. It takes between 12 and 14 hours of daylight (total lighting) to trigger the pituitary gland to release hormones to initiate laying.

Delaying the extra lighting will forego that boost when it was needed, so they will have a delay. BUT starting now and making sure they have 12 to 14 hours of total lighting, including daylight, can get them to kick into gear.

However, there are disadvantages to supplemental lighting. It can cause feather picking, especially if you go over 14 hours or have too bright of light. It also does not give their bodies the needed rest with the natural seasons. You may find layer fatigue sets in.

LofMc

I opt to let them take a break during these short days, but I know several people who supplement light to get more eggs. If you need the eggs, then add the light, but do it incrementally.

They don't need supplemental light, let them take their time.

Yes. But you needed to start back in August. You'll have a delay until they catch up again hormonally. It takes between 12 and 14 hours of daylight (total lighting) to trigger the pituitary gland to release hormones to initiate laying.

Delaying the extra lighting will forego that boost when it was needed, so they will have a delay. BUT starting now and making sure they have 12 to 14 hours of total lighting, including daylight, can get them to kick into gear.

However, there are disadvantages to supplemental lighting. It can cause feather picking, especially if you go over 14 hours or have too bright of light. It also does not give their bodies the needed rest with the natural seasons. You may find layer fatigue sets in.

LofMc
So those are contrary answers.

I did not think the pullets needed extra lighting to start laying, but my girlfriend is getting impatient. She wants eggs.
I also have adults in the coop, three of them were laying but slowed down to almost zero. Two other hens are retired.
Last year I did the supplemental lighting for 14 hours (yes, I increased slowly), but it did not make a difference with the adult hens’ laying.
So, that makes me think, the same adults won’t start to lay with the light on this year, so they will still get their break. Is that thinking correct?

Back
Top Bottom