Supplements for cooped chickens?

Martlet

Songster
8 Years
Aug 31, 2015
NH
I have a new flock that isn't laying yet, and have been keeping the old flock in it's run more as I get ready to move them along. They're down to an egg or 2 a day over the last month (from 3-4 with 5 hens). I'm not sure if it's because they don't get to free range as much, if it's the heat, or some other thing. I feed them Green Mountain non-GMO feed and oyster shell grit. Is there something else I should be giving them?

I have a new flock that isn't laying yet, and have been keeping the old flock in it's run more as I get ready to move them along.  They're down to an egg or 2 a day over the last month (from 3-4 with 5 hens).  I'm not sure if it's because they don't get to free range as much, if it's the heat, or some other thing.   I feed them Green Mountain non-GMO feed and oyster shell grit.  Is there something else I should be giving them?

I would supplement with scratch grains or whole corn.
It may also be because they are older. My older hens lay about 1 egg a day out of 3 of them.

The heat of summer will slow production. Also it's getting later in the laying season and some hens are slowing or even stopping. The fall molt will start in late August which isn't too far off and generally runs until December at the latest. Your poorer layers will be the first to start molting.

Make sure they are getting enough fresh clean water, not enough can slow down laying too.

Back
Top Bottom