Supplies in your coop?

Kanga77510

Songster
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Santa Fe, TX
Do you keep a stash of supplies in your coop? If so, what?

I have a small shed/large coop, so I keep a bit in there. Makes chores a lot easier; I have a broom, small hand rake, an old bucket, garden gloves, a roll of paper towels, bin of pine shavings, roll of chicken wire, a gallon or two of water.

Hmmm... Let's see, We've got a broom, rake, catch net. Bins for layer pellets, treats, oyster shell, grit. Extra chicken wire fencing and stapler. Bag of pine shavings for topping off nest boxes after cleaning (keep large stash in other barn). Med cabinet with first aid stuff and poultry dust (this comes into the house in the winter). And of course, the poo bucket:

poo%2Bbucket%2B3in100dpi.jpg

I keep an 8" drywall finishing knife for scraping the poop board.
sickbyc.gif
I also keep a broom, dustpan, and a plastic rectangular bin/box with a lid for scraping the poop into.
sickbyc.gif
(I take it to the garden or compost every 3rd day and with 24 chooks, that is as long as I want to wait.
sickbyc.gif
No odors escape from it tho as lid snaps down pretty good. Am thinking of storing feed there in another bin, under the other poop board on the other side of the entrance door. One less thing to carry to coop each AM. I do have space underneath too. Chooks like to hang out there so am doing a dust bath there for when it is rainy.
cool.png

I have an "feed room" in the barn for the chickens. Have Four bins with food, a spare nesting box closer to the floor for the "big hens", a small cabinet for waterers, shot gun shells, elctrolytes, etc..

Lately a few of the polish babies have figured out that I keep feed in there and one or two have begun hoping into the bins as i distribute feed. Tell me chickens are not smart.

I do block off the "feed room" at night so they will not go in there and POOOOOOOO. Noting it seems is off limits to chicken poop as i am finding out. I get PLENTY of specimens to look at to see how the flock it doing health wise.

Drywall taping knife for scraping poo boards; old catlitter bucket for scraping poo into; another bucket for swishing out waterers into.

Broom, pushbroom, manure fork, and flat square barn shovel; plus spare trashcan for conveying sweepings etc to manure pile.

Basic first aid supplies, basic repair tools (hammer, screwdriver, staplegun, duct tape, baling twine, etc)

Large dog crate for isolation, also carrier for transport.

I also (because I have room) store any unused waterers, feeders, lightbulbs and the brooder hover, and as-yet-unused fencing.

Also, hanging on wall catching dust, are framed photos (with a keepsake feather included) of each of our first three hens, Matilda, Marigold and Maryanne.

Pat

I keep everything I need to keep and maintain a decent coop, medication, various sizes of feed & water containers, feed, hay, light bulbs, cleaning supplies you name it, gotta have it.

Here is mine, it is tucked into a corner of my breeder pens.

AL

10364_img_0392.jpg

Back
Top Bottom