playadesilkies

Chirping
Jun 15, 2021
HsEsS2p.jpg
vbIcXIf.jpg

163pkLk.jpg

3cXHpxY.jpg

Hi All! First time poster here.

I’m hoping some of you kind chicken people can help me identify a new flock member that I’ve had for the past couple months. He (or she?) was surrendered by someone I previously sold silkie chicks to, who decided they changed their minds about raising chickens.

The former owner told me that the chick in question (lighter grey one shown) was an Easter egger. I was getting rooster vibes from appearance and behavior early on, but now that I have the chicken in my flock I’m starting to have doubts about whether he’s actually a male. He would be about 12 weeks old and I haven’t seen him display rooster-like behaviors or attempt crowing. He has been hanging out with the two other chicks he was raised with that appear to be hens, and I have seen him go head to head with other hens in the same way I’ve seen two roosters or two hens challenge each other, but not the way I’ve seen roosters bully hens.

So what do you guys think? Is it really an Easter egger? Is he a she? Thanks so much!

Darn! Thanks for the reply. Guess this guy is moving out to our rural property soon! Not sure at the time of purchase, I was gifted him at about 1-2 weeks old. Based on that he should be 12 weeks now.

HsEsS2p.jpg
vbIcXIf.jpg

163pkLk.jpg

3cXHpxY.jpg

I’m hoping some of you kind chicken people can help me identify a new flock member that I’ve had for the past couple months. He (or she?) was surrendered by someone I previously sold silkie chicks to, who decided they changed their minds about raising chickens.

The former owner told me that the chick in question (lighter grey one shown) was an Easter egger. I was getting rooster vibes from appearance and behavior early on, but now that I have the chicken in my flock I’m starting to have doubts about whether he’s actually a male. He would be about 12 weeks old and I haven’t seen him display rooster-like behaviors or attempt crowing. He has been hanging out with the two other chicks he was raised with that appear to be hens, and I have seen him go head to head with other hens in the same way I’ve seen two roosters or two hens challenge each other, but not the way I’ve seen roosters bully hens.

So what do you guys think? Is it really an Easter egger? Is he a she? Thanks so much!
100% a rooster

HsEsS2p.jpg
vbIcXIf.jpg

163pkLk.jpg

3cXHpxY.jpg

I think it's the Olive Egger variant for an Easter Egger. The little crown he has looks like it's from a Legbar. I don't see any leg feathers to know if it was crossed with a Marans, but not all Marans have leg feathers either.

I think it's the Olive Egger variant for an Easter Egger. The little crown he has looks like it's from a Legbar. I don't see any leg feathers to know if it was crossed with a Marans, but not all Marans have leg feathers either.
I agree that there's legbar blood in there, but it doesn't necessarily mean olive egger. The hatcheries have been making EE with legbars lately.

Back
Top Bottom