Suprelorin implant (Virbac) stops hens with egg peritonitis laying anymore

Hey Dee,

Good move id say! The implants may be costly but its well worth it for the results. I found about 1 week after Ethels implant she was a bit off her food (likely due to her sickness tho) so i spoilt her for about a month after and tried to encourage as much eating as possible. Though i did find on the implant she was not as hungry as the others and was a much fussier eater although her body weight was fine. Guess they dont need as much energy when they arent laying?

Im not sure if i mentioned it above, but one side effect the vet warned me about was a slight personality change due to the hormones- which Ethel had. She was a bit cranky but eventually settled lol

All the best!

Jess

Hiya
About your question about Superlorin side effects.
I have had 2 chickens implanted because of EYP (and also drained every month by the vet-amazing difference the draining makes!0
It gave them both an extra year of happy life and the only side effect was they weren't quite so interested in food afterwards.

Recently I have had a chicken implanted because of a prolapse that kept recurring.
She also had a purse suture under anaesthetic for it and for 2 weeks I gave her only 2 hours of daylight and a very reduced diet to discourage egg production whilst the implant took effect
She was rather a mess afterwards-looked ill,didn't want to eat,till eventually I had to syringe-feed her.
But a month later she recovered and was happy as a lark.
She then went into a heavy moult (can be a side-effect) and lost weight ,which is where she is now

So I would say the side effects vary from chook to chook

But generally,depending on what the egg problem is ,I have found these 3 methods-
Reduced light and maintenance diet
Superlorin implants
and draining (done by an expert)
extremely useful

Hope this helps!!!

Hi guyhi i have two implanted
. And read posts elsewhere. They have been known to only last two months. But my girls last about 6. Increased appetite talking more are signs it's wearing off. Maybe bigger combs too. 4.7 is the size. The vets reckon thevlarger ones are not lasting any longer.. Cosy approx £80. Hope this helps..

I've had about 10 hens (ex-batts) implanted with the Suprelorin, and for all but one of them, it has been a miracle. Like other people have described, it gave them more energy, their combs shrank, and they went into a molt (and grew back lovely new feathers). Their abdomens went from being awful, fluid-filled messes to perfectly flat.

During the winter, the implants lasted about 6 months, but the ones that were implanted in the spring seem to have only lasted 3 months.

For the hen the implant didn't work on, she had an ovarian tumor and died anyway (thanks, egg industry). I also just had a young rooster implanted with this to see if it will stop him from turning crazy and aggressive like his father, but the jury's still out on that.

I also understand that this implant is effective against one of the common types of reproductive tract cancers in laying hens (which is the leading cause of death in industry birds). I think it was adenocarcinoma, not sure though.

The limiting factor, of course, it cost. My vet doesn't anesthetize the birds but charges $225/bird. There is a vet 2 hours north of me who charges $465 per implant. Not sure if he's using the bigger implant or what to justify that cost.

Yes, they're avail. in the U.S. I am in California, and I know about 5 other people all over the U.S. who use them for their hens w/ laying problems.

Did she say why she won't do them? Most avian vets around here are familiar with the implants, if for no other reason than to cater to their expensive parrot clients, but also increasingly so for people with laying hens who don't want to see them suffer agonizing deaths. All your vet has to do is order them in a 2-pack or 5-pack right from the Virbac website, and take a little time to do the paperwork. The insertion is simple enough; both avian vets I use just insert them like a microchip at the base of the neck. A vet tech can do it (and has done it) in my hens.

It just annoys me when vets don't afford the same respect to chickens as they do other, more expensive birds. If backyard chickens are such a growing sector of the pet population, any avian vet worth his/her salt really needs to get on top of this.

Last edited:
She did not say why. She said they do HCG shots but my chicken wouldn't be a candidate. I don't know why or what those shots are I have to do some research. My beautiful hen lays nothing but rubber eggs. She loved the yogurt I gave her so I will keep up with that.

Looks like the HCG shots are for weight loss, not my hens problem. I could try calling back and asking her to order them. What do you think the cost would be to have her order and insert it?

Back
Top Bottom