Surplus chickens- what are my options??

Quote:
Just watched Top Chef...how about Coq au Vin???
smile.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coq_au_vin

Last edited:
We eat a lot of coq au vin here. I've pretty much given away as many roosters as any of my friends could eat coq au vin in their lifetime. I love it, but it's just not something you make everynight. :0

IS THERE ANYONE IN AZ WHO WANTS THIS ROOSTER?!
I really need to find a place for mr. noodle. Anyone interested? I'm giving it about two weeks. yes, my neighbors complain but I also despise waking up at 4:30am every morning while I'm pregnant...I'm supposed to be on bed-rest, so getting up 15 times to answer the door every morning is becoming a pain--literally. If i can't find him a home, as much as i like him and as beautiful as he is, I'm going to eat him.

BTW, is there a spot on this site where you can find that information?? I never intended on having to do it and so far, i've gotten some pretty insane and also inhumane advice on how to do it...(mostly from my neighbors!
wink.png
)

So, if it comest to that...i'll need some real information.

You can't breed Red Stars and end up with Red Stars. It's like hybred veggies, if you plant the seeds you get one or the other but not the hybred.

I have to agree with Earth nut, use Craigslist. I put out a notice that I was raising chick's till they were feathered out and wondered who would be interested in the birds. I got like 10 replies in a day and a half. I figured I had enough interest to go ahead with the project.

nccatnip - i hatched some eggs this summer with the same thoughts as you, keep the ladies and find good homes for the boys. Unfortunately, it is not so easy finding homes for the roos. i have listed them several times on craigslist, both in my area and nearby areas. i put them up on recycler.com (online classifieds, might only be in my area) and the only responses are from Nigerian scam artists. i listed them here in the sale/wanted/giveaway section. No luck at all.

My last ditch effort will be to take them to the local feed store and let their fate be an unknown to me. i was hoping to find good homes, as they have worked their way into my heart, and i hate to think they will end up in a stew pot. i wish i had just stuck with buying sexed chicks (except that one of my hatchery girls has turned out to be the biggest rooster of them all).

So yes, those roos will be hard to get rid of, especially if you get attached.

You must be alot younger than alot of us that have chickens. If you had grown up like alot of the older crowd, there would be no question as to what to do with them. Chicken and dumplins!

NCCatNip -- If you end up with a couple of extra Buff biddies(hens only!! - I have had to suffer the trauma of getting rid of my Dominique Rooster this month already as my neighbors complained!!), email me and I will buy them from you! I currently have 7 Doms and 5 RIR's.
smile.png
Darlene

Back
Top Bottom