Surprise Color in my Duckling

HeiWalker98

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2021
I have successfully hatched out 3 precious little babies! Mama Duchess is a Rouen and I believe the father is one of my Pekin Drakes. I was shocked because the first baby born was identical to Duchess as a duckling But the other 2 are different.

I’m assuming one is just going to be a lighter colored Rouen? But this 3rd one.. I’m stumped. What color is this??
12A3DACE-4E81-4E88-AFB5-121565F37422.jpeg
84EC6607-D1C5-449A-A675-78C03BAD2313.jpeg

Thank you soo much! I just thought Pekins were white and that was about it lol. I didn’t know there was sooo much else involved with duck genetics! I’m super excited to see these little sweethearts fully feathered out :lol::lol:

I believe that is the restricted pattern which is what a Silver Appleyard has.
That’s what I was thinking but I have NO Silver Appleyards in my flock so I was so confused! I just had no idea where this one came from. But I didn’t realize that Pekins could have other colors in their genetics besides white. I was expecting little cow spotted babies at the least. These babies are just so amazing to me! All different colors! So exciting!!

That’s what I was thinking but I have NO Silver Appleyards in my flock so I was so confused! I just had no idea where this one came from. But I didn’t realize that Pekins could have other colors in their genetics besides white. I was expecting little cow spotted babies at the least. These babies are just so amazing to me! All different colors! So exciting!!
You might enjoy this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mallard-derived-duck-color-genetics-basics.74277/

Back
Top Bottom