Surprise--EE not the green egglayer!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GA Peach in VA, Oct 10, 2009.

1. GA Peach in VA

GA Peach in VA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Okay---this might sound crazy, but, yesterday, I did sit outside my coop and wait until I got an egg. I knew about what time they were laying, just didn't know who was laying what. Does this sound normal. [​IMG]
    Well, I thought my 2 EE hens were laying the olive and light green eggs. NOT! It was 2 barnyard mutts. The only reason for this theory was that the older 2 hens cam from a brown layer flock!
    The lady I got them from didn't have any green or blue layers. [​IMG]
    This is my light green layer. Not sure of her breed mix. She was singing and jumped in the nest box---30 min. later --lovely green egg![​IMG]

This is a pic of my Olive egg layer. This is when she was younger.
    [​IMG]

Angie-who is waiting for the EE's to lay--looking for a blue or pink egg!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have an EE that I hoped would give me green colored eggs.

She laid her first egg this week... it was an off white with brown speckles. ... waiting for egg #2 to see if it's the same.

3. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

Those 2 don't look like EEs at all! That first one might be part polish or something. Let's hear it for the mutts!

So far I have no green eggs. the 2 EEs I know are laying are producing very light brown or straw colored eggs. I'm still hoping. [​IMG]

4. Jamsoundsgood

Jamsoundsgood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Well, they're very pretty girls, whatever they are!

5. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    this just happened to my neighbor! hers is a little black hen as well doesn't look anything like an EE at ALL. yet is laying olive eggs!!! the one that def looks part EE is laying brown... go figure!!!

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That little black hen sure is a cutie!! Strange about the eggs...

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Your first one looks like a Silkie cross. I have three sisters with that modified pouf, all solid black. They don't lay green eggs, though. She could be a EE or Ameraucana crossed with Silkie(or Polish). Kate, Tux and Olivia's sire was a standard Cochin/Silkie cross and their mother was a BR.

8. GA Peach in VA

GA Peach in VA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Here are new pics I took of my lil mutts. I don't take pics of chicks that often.
    This is Pebbles now. She has feathered feet and 4 toes. She is the dominate hen. She's not the friendliest chick! But, I was wondering if there was EE in her due to the feathering around her head and neck. She hatched out of a brown egg and came from a flock that only layed brown eggs.
    I want to breed her with Sundance my roo. They make a lovely pair.
    [​IMG]
    Here is my roo Sundance. He had feathered feet also. He is really pretty in the sunlight! :eek:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by