Surprise, you have 2 roosters!

Hobbits Mommie

Songster
Sep 21, 2018
Lakeland, FL
Ok, so I got rid of all my roosters, except one, or so I thought. It appears that I now have 5 hens and two roosters. I kept "the friendliest" one but he's now being challenged by the "surprise" rooster as are all of the hens. So I have a to make a choice. I'd still like to keep the friendlier one, but my husband thinks that the "surprise" rooster would be a better protector (even though he's also attacking the hens). Thoughts and advice appreciated.

If predators aren't an issue, then i'd keep the friendlier one. Also, just because he's friendly doesn't mean he won't protect. My family had a rooster that was great around people and kids, and he protected his ladies from a hawk one time that was trying to get them

Last edited:
How old are these boys? If they are adolescent cockerels, their true behaviors may not be obvious for a bit longer. If so, try to hang on longer, so you can make the best decision.
Often, 'friendly' in a cockerel turns out to be 'too bold' and a bird who challenges humans, and the wrong bird to keep.
Mary
They are coming up on 20 weeks old.

I would put them both in bachelor pads until they are at least 1 YO, then see how each one acts with the girls (one at a time), then pick the one I want to keep for breeding.
Good luck with your choice!
I have 2 boys now, the one over the flock (at this time) is a bit small but he is really good with the girls. The other is not as good with the girls as he likes to eat way to much. But the chicks from the good boy are flighty, the chicks from the big boy are the calmest I have ever had, and the colors I get from him are WOW (I also have one of his boys I am keeping). I have a girl or 2 that are almost yellow (they are very light yellow), I have never seen yellow chickens,,,, oh I have EEs

I would put them both in bachelor pads until they are at least 1 YO, then see how each one acts with the girls (one at a time), then pick the one I want to keep for breeding.
Good luck with your choice!
I have 2 boys now, the one over the flock (at this time) is a bit small but he is really good with the girls. The other is not as good with the girls as he likes to eat way to much. But the chicks from the good boy are flighty, the chicks from the big boy are the calmest I have ever had, and the colors I get from him are WOW (I also have one of his boys I am keeping). I have a girl or 2 that are almost yellow (they are very light yellow), I have never seen yellow chickens,,,, oh I have EEs
I had two yellow chick's that ended up turning white. Did yours stay yellow?

Back
Top Bottom